Elon Musk impulsively fired Tesla supercharger boss after she pushed back on layoffs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/elon-musk-impulsively-fired-tesla-supercharger-boss-after-she-pushed-back-on-layoffs.html

13 Likes

Season 5 Spinning GIF by Pee-wee Herman

22 Likes

From what I hear, several senior managers pushed back against the initial layoffs. Some of them quit rather than fire the valued colleagues who were critical to their missions. In the second round, Musk’s toadies took the opportunity of their absence to fire the employees.

It’s all a particularly stupid and short-sighted implementation of Jack Welch’s already problematic “rank-and-yank system”, all done to get rid of the most expensive employees as part of the effort to convince shareholders that Musk isn’t incompetent…

28 Likes

It made General Electric what it is today.

28 Likes

We can’t even call the news “shocking.” Both because that would imply surprise and because it would imply the presence of electrical current.

18 Likes

And RCA, and NBC, …

11 Likes

As I understood it, their supercharger system is actually pretty good. Hamstringing them is just going to allow someone else to leap frog them in capability and capacity. :confused:

13 Likes

Too many uber-rich getting away with too much too often. Hell was invented (“it’s said”) as a means to soothe the lower classes that the overt crimes of the upper classes would still be avenged after their death (yet only witnessed in paintings by Hieronymus Bosch). Now that many of us have strong doubts that any cosmic pay-back scheme exists, it would be no wonder if folks start to note that some sort of guillotines really do need a bit of a dusting.

19 Likes

We can use the front hood of the cyber truck for that. Or the doors. /rimshot

17 Likes

20 Likes

I would not accept to be rehired by this clown

11 Likes

I’d take it over being unemployed, probably over having to move a long distance to get a new job.

Sure the actual “superstars” of the division would not as a point of pride (if they have any left after years of working for this sociopathic bully clown) but that’s likely not as important as people think.

7 Likes

Biased obviously, since i wouldn’t work for him in the first place

Jennifer Aniston Middle Finger GIF

9 Likes

The secret word is “Idiot”.

8 Likes

I don’t see anything in that article that says anything other than that one executive who was a part of the Supercharger team has been rehired. It just speculates that Tesla will have to rehire more if it wants to expand its charger network. That seems to be underestimating Musk’s commitment to stupid decisions.

11 Likes

Petulant manchildren gonna petulantly manchild

7 Likes

He did end up reversing his idea to kill the stores :person_shrugging:

6 Likes
7 Likes

The other ones rehired (if they were) are likely “not important enough” to name.

4 Likes

This is literally all the article says on “rehires”:

But last week, Musk announced that Tesla would spend more than $500 million building out more chargers, just days after saying the focus would instead be on uptime at existing locations. And to do that, Tesla will need to rehire a whole bunch of people.

That started with Max de Zegher, who was an executive under the previous head of Supercharging, Rebecca Tinucci.

Other than the executive named, there is no reference to any announcement from Tesla that they have any plans to rehire anyone else. It’s just speculation on the part of the writer for Ars Technica that they “will need to”.

9 Likes