A hiring freeze and layoffs to come for Tesla

Originally published at: A hiring freeze and layoffs to come for Tesla | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Another reason to laugh at billionaires when they call themselves “job creators”.

34 Likes
6 Likes

Some companies see a recession coming and take steps to build a reserve so that they don’t have to fire people when the economy goes south. Elon starts firing people before it even starts…

28 Likes

Tesla stock has been dropping since April. I have little doubt that he’s planned cutbacks for a while, but California laws make firing people very difficult. So he spends a week scaring employees off with the “no work from home” demand presented in a deliberately brutal manner, and now is finding some other justification to give stockholders for layoffs (based on a “superbad feeling”, discussed in public interviews rather than discussed with his employees). The guy is the most egregious manipulator of the stock market I’ve ever seen, and I’m sure the morale in Tesla is at an all time low. I would never work for this guy.

39 Likes

Fink, Diamond and Musk are just whiny out of touch assholes. Cry recession enough and the market shifts. Probably to their benefit.

Why would anyone ever want to work for Tesla with that fascist at wheel?

14 Likes

California is an at-will state, no?

We’re not exactly talking about Île-de-France here

6 Likes

It is an at-will state and I would bet a lot of their work force are classified as “contractors” making mass lay-offs even easier.

Line has gotta go up after all.

9 Likes

Through all of his tweeting, he managed to alienate his base in order to appeal to people who will never buy his vehicles. He really did this to himself but I’m sure he’ll find a way to blame others.

8 Likes

And to compound the problem, he ostentatiously became a Republican, the party that actively opposed the BBB bill that included generous EV credits and could have extended the window to allow Tesla buyers to qualify once again.

12th Dimensional Chess!

9 Likes

Oddly enough, the GOP desire to be one of the cool kids with the “it” fast car overcomes their disdain for EVs, at least when it comes to Tesla.

From Tesla owners are more Republican than you'd think - CNN

9 Likes

This is a nuclear winter level of shade.

15 Likes

New Bart Simpson Elon Musk Science experiment:

“11:30 - Still just a potatoe” (sic)

3 Likes

“Mr. President, a spoiled, insecure manchild who abuses his employees and exposes his dick to staff just said he has a bad feeling, what is your administration doing about it?”

14 Likes

I’m a big fan of the “no fucks given” Biden.

14 Likes

This is the reason for his comeback into the office emails, if 10% leave because of the change in policy, no need for the layoffs

5 Likes

Wow, even I thought I was being a bit paranoid…

10 Likes

At least Ford is hiring 6000 new full-time workers, and converting 3000 temp-workers into full time unionized workers so they can ramp up their EV vehicle production, so this is a good counterbalance.

Also, as a side note, while I like his technology companies, I personally find Elon Musk unstable and not likeable, and I think he might be heading towards a breakdown.

6 Likes

And it’s still massively overvalued. Tesla’s P/E is 104, P/B is 23.6. Those are the kind of numbers we saw during the dot-com boom. It’s insane.

8 Likes

Corrected lead:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has a “super bad feeling” about the economy Tesla and needs to cut about 10% of salaried staff

2 Likes