Tesla to decimate global workforce; rumors suggest numbers will run much higher

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/tesla-decimates-global-workforce-rumors-suggest-numbers-much-higher.html

8 Likes

Is that really the shape of a Tesla’s steering wheel? oo, i don’t like that. no gentle round-about navigation without coming against a knee.

By the bye, an old etymologist fan’s awards and accolades to Herr Prof Weisberger for including the original maths sense of “decimate” in the headline.

17 Likes

Finally, a correct use of “decimate” in a headline.

23 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. What’s the point of learning prefixes and suffixes and printing dictionaries if they don’t mean anything?

8 Likes

Finally, something at Tesla that’s probably going to exceed announcements.

15 Likes

Yes, it’s true - Elon is a fool
download

10 Likes

well, elno does hate it more than the people whos jobs get axed

“There is nothing I hate more, but it must be done."

but its best for the company (aka the survival of humanity), because

"This will enable us to be lean, innovative and hungry for the next growth phase cycle.”

:face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Ditto on the kudos for ‘decimate’, but this lede:

A lack of interest in their groundbreaking truck from 2019

Might be edited to say:

Poorly designed and arrogant truck from four years ago costs innocent bystanders their jobs.

15 Likes

actually, its wankman here whos the elno; walter peck is everybody else.

1 Like

Number one reason to fire people is to increase/avoid further decrease of Tesla shares, which would hurt Dilbert Stark’s ego

4 Likes

I saw a Cybertruck in the wild for the first time on Friday. Unsurprisingly, it drew comments from strangers on the street about what an asshole the owner presumably is. Driving one is the vehicular equivalent of proudly walking down the street wearing an expensive full-length coat of real fox fur in 2024.

10 Likes

But since they’re really close to fully self assembling tech…

3 Likes

All this nonsense- when they could just fire one employee and get down to fixing the company.

26 Likes

Neither did most customers.

For a short time that was the only type of steering wheel available on some models of Teslas but it didn’t take very long before the company relented and made them optional.

Lots of problems with that design, including that the turn signals were no longer activated with a traditional stalk, but instead by pressing buttons on the yoke that would sometimes be in awkward orientations depending on whether the yoke was already turned.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43722784/tesla-model-s-model-x-steering-yoke-250-option/

Presumably that design was implemented because Musk loves him some Knight Rider.

8 Likes

on the bright side, you don’t have to worry about problems with the shape for very long…

8 Likes

This has got me curious…

• I have never seen a Cybertruck IRL
  • I have seen the Cybertruck in the wild, unintentionally
  • I have seen the Cybertruck, but I’m in a high-risk group (auto business/hobbyist)
0 voters

I’ve been dreading the day i move from option 1 to option 2; @Hanglyman you have my condolences.

7 Likes

Full Down Sizing is coming soon!

7 Likes

I always imagined they changed it as a step forward in making the steering wheel “obsolete”. “When your own your ‘fully self driving’ Tesla you don’t even need a steering wheel”.
Musk loves getting rid of convenient controls in his cars because “future”.

Or he’s watched too much F1/top fuel.

3 Likes

No option for “I own a Cybertruck” :rofl:

7 Likes

For a movie made in 93, Demolition Man got the vehicles fairly accurate. It’s nice the steering wheel shrinks to make entry and exit easier, and then expands for manual drive control. And it’s actually a solid “circle”, not that two sided thing Musk came up with. Now we just need to invent that capacitance gel and fight through a fast food war, EV’s and Taco Bell for everyone.

-To be fair I always assumed the Tesla yoke design came from F1 racing. Which in that application makes sense. You can dial in the steering ratio so you are never making more than a 90° rotation and your hands never leave the wheel. In the real world, where things like U-turns exist, it seems horribly impractical.

7 Likes