Tesla's new factories burning money, Musk says bankruptcy is a concern, while his Twitter deal is still in the works

No - Pedo Guy is an arrogant crank in ALL countries. :wink:

12 Likes

Someone I know who had an engineering internship there expressed it as interesting products, interesting problems, but the dancing monkey leading the company is a distraction.

8 Likes

No it won’t. Because Tesla will be out of business. The other auto companies have far greater economies of scale, greater manufacturing infrastructure, and more developed marketing and distribution networks. Tesla doesn’t have the ability to compete against that.

8 Likes

Is he bragging or complaining?

4 Likes

Be careful with that… if they are LFP batteries they are unlikely to go on fire and if they thermal runaway they’ll off-gas like crazy, but that container doesn’t have enough air volume for deflagration. However, you should only install them outside, on a fireproof mount.

I say this as someone in the battery biz who looks at the UL9540A fire reports on these systems all the time, and is constantly answering fire code questions… my old house had 15kW of solar with DC optimizers connected to SolarEdge StorEdge inverters (they take the LG Chem RESU 10kWh 350Vdc battery) which I decided after the Bolt recall (getting my new battery next week in theory) and recalls of Lockheed Martin Gridstar BESS systems - all of which use those same NMC batteries from LG Chem - that this was waaaaay too much of a fire risk for my wood framed garage.

The Telsa Powerwall is also NMC. Most batteries from China (CATL, BYD, REPT, EVE) are now LFP which is better, but just like Tesla, I can’t tell you how much the Chinese companies don’t give a fuck about fire safety. A BESS fire, even at 10 or 20kWh, is basically unstoppable until the fuel supply is gone. (Tesla’s slogan about the Megapacks, which have no fire detection systems - “burn it down to the screws” - in other words, once it goes on fire don’t leave any additional flammable bits or electric charges behind - but while that might be ok in a substation, you really don’t want it in your house/farm/compound).

14 Likes

Weirdly enough, I just this morning received a large Li-Ion battery direct from Shenzen to replace a part in a server - it was ordered three days ago, and had zero delays. Either it’s due to the low volume that mine got through when Musk’s don’t, or Musk’s suppliers are just really bad at filling out the paperwork properly. (Could be both.)

4 Likes

IMHO there are two big reasons for this:
1.) Wall Street has way more money to invest than it can find good investments for. So all stocks are overpriced, but especially “growth” stocks where you just might imagine that the company will expand greatly from its current size. So as a pioneer in the electric car market, Tesla qualifies.
2.) The problem with the idea that Tesla will be able to take over the car market because they have more experience with electric cars than the Detroit automakers is that it is far easier to change powerplants than it is to ramp up from handmade niche car maker to a giant industrial concern.

edited to add: I see that Mangochin has made the same point.

4 Likes

So basically a repeat of his failed attempt to make the Fremont factory fully automated without even doing a pilot project first to confirm feasibility … or when he signed to buy Twitter without doing due diligence first … :thinking: I’m starting to see a pattern.

He thinks he’s like Steve Jobs with his own Reality Distortion Field. That type of risk taking and pushing the boundaries can be good for business but you’re not suppose to start drinking your own Kool-Aid. In the end Jobs’ RDF didn’t work out well for Steve Jobs.

6 Likes

How bizarre. Our fake Powerwall has been backordered for more than six weeks, though now they’re saying it will ship on 14 July.

1 Like
5 Likes

Much less sympathy for those who are enabling racism in the workplace, tho.

4 Likes

Might be an air vs sea freight thing. I work in electronics manufacturing and we’ve had to duplicate orders and pay insane airfreight amounts because our larger orders were stuck at the ports.

2 Likes

Except the reality he distorts is his own-- which always comes back to bite him in the ass!

1 Like

In what way? He seems pretty insulated from any consequences for his actions.

5 Likes

Sitting here and very carefully thinking about it… I see at least six Teslas out and about every day. Areas where seen: Santa Clarita, San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley, and Antelope Valley, CA.

1 Like

Insisting on a fully automated assembly line, that eventually didn’t work, and which delays the launch of the Model 3 almost to the point Tesla was almost insolvent. “The Model 3 ramp was extreme stress & pain for a long time — from mid 2017 to mid 2019. Production & logistics hell” - Elon Musk (when “about a month” from bankruptcy).

Building the Gigafactory in the Nevada desert where there was no established labor pool capable leading to an orphaned facility with little future. (Only 30 percent was ever built).

Insisting on vision-only self driving vehicles. Well…

Not arguing he isn’t insulated from any consequences for his actions. Just that his hubris has led to huge inefficiencies and blunders.

4 Likes

He’s one of the wealthiest people in the world and maybe in history. He’s not even being slightly inconvenienced by any of this, even if he whinges about it on the twitters.

He doesn’t give a shit, because it has no actual impact on HIM and his wealth. I’m guessing that any time he complains it’s all performative to whip up his fanbois to get out and attack people he hates for existing. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I think the way things are going, there is a chance Elon Musk might miss his chance to become Technoking of Mars. :cry:
(and /s just in case)

5 Likes

Poor Elon!!!

Shocked Oh No GIF

Also, giant /s…

4 Likes

Being insulated from the consequences is exactly why none of this ever bites him in the ass, though.

2 Likes