Testament's curse of Osiris video hits all the right notes

Originally published at: Testament's curse of Osiris video hits all the right notes | Boing Boing

2 Likes

If I remember correctly their “Trial by Fire” was used as bumper music in and out of commercials on the original MTV Headbangers Ball.

The thing I like about metal is the riffage. So the shredding solos, the vocals/lyrics, whatever minimal melody there is-- they’re not so important. But weirdly angular, or rhythmic chugging along riffs are what electric guitar is all about. Riding that low E string as a pedal point.

2 Likes

Arguably the worst dlc of the series

Curse of Osiris - Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki.

1 Like

Hey boingboing tagger, this is not Death Metal.

Testament was, originally, one of the 2nd wave thrash bands that followed the breakthrough of the Big 4 (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax). This new stuff is “blackened thrash”, i.e. thrash that has taken on some black metal elements (particularly the vocal stylings - classic thrash didn’t do the guttural thing).

I saw Testament just a few years ago and they were killing it.

1 Like

I’m not that into this style of metal but I can see how it would sound great to headbang to. The Ancient Egypt theme made me think of one of the classics, Iron Maiden’s “Powerslave”, about a pharaoh who’s about to die and not too happy about it:

2 Likes

Not really a big metal fan, but dang, the drums here are outrageously fast. (Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s sort of common for the genre though.)

the riffage

Amen, brother. And the super-distorted guitar that is still incredibly tightly controlled.

1 Like

No wonder they sound so angry.

Metal has more schisms than the Christian faith. I love how genres clave sub-genres.

1 Like

Drum and bass has even more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.