Tex Avery and Michael Lah offered furry fun before furries were a thing

Originally published at: Tex Avery and Michael Lah offered furry fun before furries were a thing | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It’s the patriarchy, duh.

3 Likes

26 Likes

Get out of my head.

6 Likes

Of course males were zoomorphized as well…

("'e’s a real wolf, 'e is!")

10 Likes

Or just the long tail (no pun intended) of the heydays of vaudeville and burlesque.

6 Likes

I think that one with the lizard was rotoscoped. I do like old school animations.

10 Likes

Enough to make a feller buy a season pass to the Heavy Petting Zoo.

8 Likes

Me neither.

10 Likes

I know the man that started the first furry convention in 1989 (Sylys Sable) and he did visit and get to know people like Chuck Jones and Tex Avery in the mid 70s because he was passionate about animation in a period when nobody cared about animation and they were more aproachable. I just asked him if he talked with Tex about those furry moments and he said he asked Tex about the nature films like the one with the stripping Lizard and he said at the time that animators in Termite Terrace were in a competition of can you top this to see what they could get away with.

27 Likes

Came here to say this, and glad I’m not alone in my knowledge XD XD

3 Likes

Where most current furry fandom started:

9 Likes

10 Likes

And to get a rotoscope, they had to hire a stripper to come into the studio as a reference model. That would rank high in “what they could get away with.”

3 Likes

Not that far from how Tinkerbell came to be.

Almost the same footage, or maybe the same model. The outline around the lizard’s crotch was really skirting the production code.

1 Like

I’m sure the yet-to-be-rotoscoped stripper film never made the rounds in and out of the studio.

Best dance rotoscoping… ever.

3 Likes

Having watched that, my first thought was is this the first iteration of sheeple?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.