'Texans don't stand for this': O'Rourke and Buttigieg call out anti-gay hecklers

4 Likes

1 Like

I mean, it’s pretty clear from the overall history of texas of the last century that texans absolutely will stand for homophobia and will quite regularly vote against gay rights.

But I guess it is also important to flatter a bunch of hayseeds when you’re on the campaign trail.

3 Likes

seconded.

5 Likes

Texas is on the cusp of shifting from a reliable Republican stronghold into a toss-up or even blue-leaning state within the next couple of election cycles. It also has a number of urban centers where Democratic voters already hold a majority.

6 Likes

And the more aware Republican strategist types are shitting bricks over this. They don’t even have to lose Texas the way they’ve lost California; just Texas becoming competitive (ie. forcing them to put in time, effort, and resources for a serious campaign there) would be be a sucking chest wound for the GOP.

4 Likes

Who knew that taking every available opportunity to dehumanize brown-skinned immigrants might hurt your party’s standing in a state where 40 percent of the population is Latino?

6 Likes

Both Texas and GA. They just had a story on my local public radio station this week about the devastating impact of tariffs on GA farmers and some of the people they talked to blamed Trump. That would make some folks more willing to listen to a democratic candidate, especially if the tariffs drag on and they continue to drag their feet on relief for the farmers in the counties that were hit by the hurricane.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.