Texas AG on why he supports the Big Lie: "We're done in Texas if anyone can vote"

Originally published at: Texas AG on why he supports the Big Lie: "We're done in Texas if anyone can vote" | Boing Boing

22 Likes

Eugene Levy Shrug GIF by Vanity Fair

53 Likes

You hear this, and as a sane rational person you go “they shouldn’t have said that”, but that’s the issue…the target audience is as racist and discriminatory as they come, with the complete lack of awareness that voting as they are puts themselves just one step closer to the group that is out of favor.

38 Likes

It’s a little scary to me that they feel comfy saying this stuff out loud, on camera.

53 Likes

Even a clock as broken as Ken Paxton can be right twice a day.

9 Likes

“Now many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome — good government. They want everybody to vote. I don’t want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”

• Paul Weyrich
31 Likes

To them, that is the valid reason.

32 Likes

Trump has removed the curtain that they used to hide behind because they found that the most vocal extremists are only too happy to have their racism out in the open. As a person in a mixed family, it was amazing how differently we were treated within a week of his election.

41 Likes

This reads to me as textbook Dog Whistle. If asked what they meant, they will say, “Oh, I meant of course by ‘Anyone’ all those non-citizens who fraudulently voted in the last election”.

And of course, there’s a huge number of folks who are like :wink: :wink: :wink: Yah anyone I gotcha.

22 Likes

33 Likes

Under Trump, the Republicans started saying the quiet bits out loud; now they’re just openly admitting that democracy isn’t working for them and they want to end it. That’s where we are now.

They’re past whistling. Other Republicans are saying similar things without pretending to mean something else. They’re quite openly talking about the end of democracy.

35 Likes

I mean, he’s not wrong. And agreeing with that particularly slimy shart makes me want to bathe!

22 Likes

Polls show 1/3 of the country and a commanding majority of the republican voters believe the election was stolen. Their rantings would appear disingenuous if they continued to participate in democracy. The only answer now is to have the “patriots” show up with guns.

In the eyes of their followers, democracy is already gone.

R voter turn out is going to be interesting as they wrestle with facts vs propaganda.

18 Likes

“We’re done in Texas if anyone can vote.”

Lock him up.

@vonbobo “Constitution*, Good. Democracy, Bad”, the rally cry of the Republicans.
*For a given interpretation of the document.

16 Likes

One can only hope he’s right that they are “done” and that all the efforts to keep people from voting will just make them all the more determined. I saw a lot of that in this last election. But they’re getting tricky. Not just making it inconvenient but trying to find ways to actively reject ballot requests and stuff…

4 Likes

Good thing that he’s vaccinated, right?

Hm. Maybe he was asymptomatic and within range of Bannon?

27 Likes

Well, yeah…that just gave them a permission slip to let their inner Fascist show.

8 Likes

Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY News

9 Likes

I’ve been saying that it’s a fog horn for a few years now. If anyone says they can’t hear it then they are actively choosing to ignore it.

26 Likes

Fearmongering to the base, in order to boost turnout.
He is getting Primaried this year by the likes of Louie Gohmert, among others.
Czar Abbott is getting similarly primaried by those even worse than he is.

Apparently, he is afraid of the likelyhood of Beto O’Rourke’s candidacy boosting turnout amongst the Dems.
I don’t give two nickels for Beto’s chances, TBH {although I will vote for him], but the turnout he can generate can have implications down-ballot.

That’s gotta stick in his craw, seeing as the Czar’s power has been pretty much unfettered until recently, as has his.

I long to see the day his orange-jumpsuited mangy self is frog-marched off to prison…

EDIT: neglected to add the ‘t’ on the end of Gohmer’s name.

8 Likes