Texas mass shooting suspect found and arrested

Originally published at: Texas mass shooting suspect found and arrested | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Cut and Shoot, Texas? Are they just playing with us now?

27 Likes

Nope. It’s a real place. A real sh!thole, in fact.

13 Likes

In Pwnthelibs County?

12 Likes

He chose not to hide in a total obvious place like Gun Barrel City, Texas (also a real place!)

14 Likes

found hiding in a closet "underneath a pile of laundry,"

Unlike the arseholes who helped him, the pile of soiled clothes couldn’t stand his presence and gave him up to the police.

8 Likes

I’m guessing the name has something do with cattle ranching*. Still a shithole…just bullshit instead.

Been there many times. Uncle had a cabin on nearby Cedar Creek lake.

*ETA: Turns out I was dead wrong. The name “Cut and Shoot” comes from exactly what you think it means…albeit a slightly different context…

On the morning of July 21 the group who wanted to hear Preacher Stamps gathered at the
Community House. They came in their wagons and buggies and brought their lunches with
intentions of staying and having an all day preaching and a dinner on the ground. Under their
wagon and buggy seats they had their guns and knives rolled up in quilts. On their arrival they
found the door of the building locked, and soon after the opposing group arrived with their
weapons. This faction immediately inspected the door and declared that the lock had been
jammed, whereupon all grabbed their guns and a hot argument developed between two of the
opposing families. While the accusations of both sides flew back and forth, the eight-year-old
son of one of the families favorable to the meeting became frightened at the disturbance and said,
“I’m scared!” “I’m going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!”
Thus the name Cut and Shoot was coined.

7 Likes

It’s not just Texas. Lauren Boebert is from Rifle, Colorado.

7 Likes

Glad they finally found the guy.

5 Likes

I had to pull up the area on Google Maps just to see this. Security is the next town over because of course it is. I love the details on Cut and Shoot which includes the town council declaring themselves a city in 2006, despite having a population around that of a good local SF convention.

Looking to the north of the area, I see both a “Waverly” and a “New Waverly.” Presumably the residents of New Waverly were concerned about the outlandish growth of the municipality and chose to break off least it get out of control.

7 Likes

In Texas, because there is no state income tax small towns like to break off and incorporate in order to control their property tax revenues. That’s why you see so many ISDs or independent school districts that only have like one or two schools for the surrounding area.

8 Likes

that’s the worst origin story for a place name i’ve ever heard.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Well, hold @smulder 's beer…

The city changed its name from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences as the result of a radio show contest. In March 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the popular NBC Radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program on its 10th anniversary from the first town that renamed itself after the show; Hot Springs officially changed its name on March 31, 1950, and the program was broadcast from there the following evening.

6 Likes

that’s a famous one. at least it’s more far credible than “Cut and Shoot”!

3 Likes

Not to be confused with Cut and Run.

2 Likes

And this guy is already out of the news cycle, eclipsed by yet another Texas mass shooting.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.