Texas neighborhood invaded by fewer than 30-50 feral hogs

Ted Cruz Lol GIF by GIPHY News

12 Likes

10 Likes

Not “muzzle velocity” but still not a great idea.

10 Likes

And have an insane reproductive rate, making their numbers pretty much limited only by available resources.

Feral hogs can be really aggressive, so while it’s kind of funny to imagine carefully manicured yards rooted up, this is actually kind of a problem.

11 Likes

I love how the reporters repeatedly talk about “extensive damage” while the camera zooms in on a tiny bit of disturbed dirt kicked from a flowerbed two inches onto the sidewalk.

5 Likes

Consequences of redistricting? :thinking:

3 Likes

Legit question for rural Americans - How do I kill the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small kids play?

If this guy fires his gun anywhere near while kids run around, he probably shouldn’t have kids, nor guns.

2 Likes

I had not realised he had published a new one! Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

10 Likes

giphy (12)

7 Likes

How so? Just curious

3 Likes

Texas neighborhood invaded by fewer than 30-50 feral hogs

Poor hogs!

1 Like

I know they often have brucellosis. But I maintain anything can be made into sausage if you’re careful with prep and cooking.

2 Likes

According to this article, ranchers in Brazil will trap male feral hogs, castrate them, mark them, then release them so they can be hunted for meat later after they fatten up. Apparently the meat of intact males is too gamey.

6 Likes

Absolutely. A friend of ours who ha a nearby farm woke up one morning, looked out his widows and thought that someone had come by and tilled up 20 acres of his soybeans overnight. Nope. Feral hogs. But the field looked tilled.

6 Likes

They’re all over where I live, too. (Alberta). They are now in Elk Island Park, an important resource for the conservation of Plains Bison. As an invasive species you can hunt them anytime, (although I don’t know anyone who does), but there is no hunting allowed in parks… Indeed, I think if you have them on your land you are required to eliminate them, easier said than done. I’ve spent lots of time in areas infested with them; you’ll see lots of tracks, and damage, but no individuals ; usually they go to ground in the daytime. I even once blundered into a wild boar den, but they weren’t home … Wildlife management people tend to say shooting them is not effective, anyway; disperses them, and makes them wary. Big big problem. Bison, other ungulates graze the grasslands in a beneficial way , hogs just destroy them.

6 Likes

Ladies, take note.

4 Likes

Pretty sure those who are that way inclined are already well aware.

4 Likes

Feral pigs are an enormous problem in Australia too. I spoke to some local graziers about the possibility of killing them for meat but they said they are riddled with worms and disease. Landline, our excellent agricultural news program, did a segment on a breakthrough eradication product which I found fascinating and thought it would be ideal for North America - but apparently it is already marketed or in the process of being marketed there. The product goes by the name of Hoggone and the baiting medium is ingenious.
Check out the Landline program of Sunday 25/7/2021. It is a streaming episode and the pig eradication segment is in the first 15 minutes. They do talk first about some other agricultural pests briefly but it is quite illuminating. Happy viewing.
Landline : ABC iview

7 Likes

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to say that that’s my uncle who developed that.

7 Likes