Texas official explains why Uvalde police didn't confront mass shooter: "they could have been shot"

Hey, at that price, you don’t want it to get scratched, do you? (/s)

14 Likes

I have to say the news of live press conferences over the last couple of days has been an eye opening spectacle of stupid fucking hats.

24 Likes

Meanwhile, here in the U.K., we can only look on and, like Ukraine, shake our heads in disbelief that such things are taking place in the 21st Century. Not only are we not allowed to even possess guns here, except for shotguns for agricultural use, or rifles for pest control and deer culling, but even knives are strictly controlled by law, to the extent that the only legal carry is a pocket knife with a non-locking blade less than 3” long.
The arguments being put forward by gun fetishists that the answer is more crime control, are so utterly ignorant and stupid, when this has shown that those given the task of controlling crime are spectacularly incapable of doing so!
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

21 Likes

May the NRA officials, the GOP, and gun lovers have nightmares for the rest of their shitty lives.

source: NYT

Author Headshot\ 45x45Author Headshot\ 45x45 By David Leonhardt and Ian Prasad Philbrick

Today, we mourn for the victims of Uvalde.

21 lost lives

Maite Rodriguez, her mother’s only daughter, dreamed of becoming a marine biologist.

Tess Marie Mata played the same position on her softball team — second base — as her favorite Houston Astros player.

Layla Salazar sang “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” by Guns N’ Roses, with her father on their morning drives to school.

Xavier Lopez made the honor roll on Tuesday, which would turn out to be the last day of his life.

The 19 children killed that day at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, were both typical and extraordinary. To read their life stories — as journalists and family members compile them this week — is devastating. We think that it’s also necessary, as a tribute to the children and an acknowledgment of the toll of this country’s unique gun violence.

Today’s newsletter contains photographs and a brief sketch of each of the 19 children. It includes the same for the two Robb teachers murdered in the attack: Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia. You can read more by clicking on the links below.

From left: Alexandria “Lexi” Aniyah Rubio, Amerie Jo Garza, Tess Marie Mata and Jose Flores.

Alexandria Aniyah Rubio, 10: Alexandria, who went by Lexi, played softball and basketball and wanted to be a lawyer when she grew up. Her parents saw her make the honor roll with straight A’s and receive a good-citizen award at her school on the day she was killed.

Amerie Jo Garza, 10: Amerie was “a jokester, always smiling,” her father said. She liked playing with Play-Doh and spending time with friends during recess. “She was very social,” he said. “She talked to everybody.”

Tess Marie Mata, 10: Tess liked TikTok dance videos, Ariana Grande and getting her hair curled, The Washington Post reported. And she loved José Altuve, the diminutive Houston Astros star whose position she emulated. She was saving money for a family trip to Disney World once her older sister, Faith, graduated from college next year.

Jose Flores: “My little Josesito,” his grandfather called him. He was an energetic baseball and video-game enthusiast. In a photo his grandfather keeps in his wallet, Jose has a beaming smile and wore a T-shirt reading, “Tough guys wear pink.”

From left: Miranda Mathis, Maite Rodriguez, Makenna Lee Elrod, Xavier Lopez

Miranda Mathis, 11: Miranda “was very loving and very talkative,” the mother of a close friend told The Austin American-Statesman. Miranda would often ask the mother to do her hair like her friend’s.

Maite Rodriguez, 10: Maite dreamed of attending Texas A&M University to become a marine biologist, a cousin wrote on Facebook: “She was her mom’s best friend.”

Makenna Lee Elrod, 10: Makenna liked to sing and dance, play with fidget toys and practice softball and gymnastics, an aunt told ABC News. She also loved animals, and hiding notes for her family to find. She recently gave her friend Chloe a friendship bracelet.

Xavier Lopez, 10: An exuberant baseball and soccer player, Xavier also chatted on the phone with his girlfriend and made the honor roll. “He was funny, never serious,” his mother, Felicha Martinez, told The Washington Post. “That smile I will never forget. It would always cheer anyone up.”

From left: Eliana “Ellie” Garcia, Layla Salazar, Eliahana Cruz Torres, Alithia Ramirez

Eliana Garcia, 9: The second-eldest of five girls, Ellie helped around the house, reminding her grandparents to take their pills, helping mow the lawn and babysitting her younger sisters, her grandfather told The Los Angeles Times. She loved “Encanto,” dancing for TikTok videos, cheerleading and basketball.

Layla Salazar, 10: Layla also liked dancing to TikTok videos, and she won six races at the school’s field day, her father told The Associated Press. She and her dad would sing every morning on their drive to school.

Eliahana Cruz Torres, 10: Eliahana played softball and particularly looked forward to wearing her green and gray uniform, along with eye black grease. The final game of the season was scheduled for Tuesday, and she was hoping to make the Uvalde All-Star team.

Alithia Ramirez, 10: Alithia loved to draw. She wanted to become an artist, her father told a San Antonio TV station. After a car struck and killed her best friend last year, Alithia sent his parents a drawing of him sketching her portrait in heaven and her sketching his portrait on earth.

From left: Jackie Cazares, Annabelle Rodriguez, Jailah Silguero, Jayce Luevanos

Jackie Cazares and Annabelle Rodriguez were cousins in the same class. Jackie was the social one. “She always had to be the center of attention,” her aunt said. “She was my little diva.” Annabelle was quieter. But the girls were close — so close that Annabelle’s twin sister, who was home-schooled, “was always jealous.”

Jailah Silguero, 10: Jailah was the youngest of four children, the “baby” of the family, her father said. Her mother told Univision that Jailah liked to dance and film videos on TikTok.

Jayce Luevanos, 10: Jayce, Jailah’s cousin, would brew a pot of coffee for his grandparents every morning, his grandfather told USA Today. Friends would come over to his house, a block from the school, to play in the yard. He enjoyed making people laugh, another relative told The Daily Beast.

From Left: Uziyah Garcia, Nevaeh Bravo, Rojelio Torres

Uziyah Garcia, 9: Uziyah enjoyed video games and football. His grandfather told The Los Angeles Times that Uziyah “was the type of kid [who] could get interested in anything in five minutes. Just the perfect kid, as far as I’m concerned.”

Nevaeh Bravo, 10: “She’s flying with the angels now,” a cousin wrote on Twitter.

Rojelio Torres, 10, was “intelligent, hard-working and helpful,” his aunt told a San Antonio television station.

From left: Eva Mireles, Irma Garcia

Eva Mireles, 44: “She loved those children,” a neighbor said. Mireles had worked for the school district for about 17 years. She enjoyed running and hiking. “She was just very adventurous and courageous and vivacious and could light up a room,” a relative told ABC News.

Irma Garcia, 46: Garcia spent 23 years at Robb Elementary, five of them as Mireles’s co-teacher. She liked to sing along to classic rock tunes and help her nephew, a college student, with his homework. Garcia was known as a steadfast optimist. She enjoyed barbecuing with her husband of 24 years, Joe; he died yesterday, of a heart attack.

35 Likes

…especially their skulls.

5 Likes

Seems a safe assumption that all those assholes in their assholic cowboi hats have only seen cows and horses when they drive past other people’s farms.

8 Likes

pretend and deflect

7 Likes

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

23 Likes

And don’t they look ridiculous. Particularly now. Poseurs.

9 Likes

Can’t collect a full pension after 20 years if yer dead, Wolf.

5 Likes

If I were police, I’d just be scared of getting shot by other police.

6 Likes

I’m with Mindysan, I’m bawling right now. If you are a parent and not devastated reading these mini bios, I don’t know what to say.

25 Likes

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

"Gomez said she also saw police tackling one father and throwing him to the ground, and that another parent was pepper sprayed. And then, the police doing fuck all, she took off to save her own kids:

Once freed from her cuffs, Ms. Gomez made her distance from the crowd, jumped the school fence, and ran inside to grab her two children. She sprinted out of the school with them.
She also said that when school buses arrived to take kids from the school after the shooter had been killed, she saw a cop tase a father who went up to one of the buses to get his kid."

18 Likes

Stumptown One Job GIF by ABC Network

13 Likes

I gotta tell you, I’ve just gone from ACAB to ACAC.
I may just go down to my local PD this week and ask what their real plan for a school shooting situation really is. I’m going to insist on the actual plan.

11 Likes

I would not - good way to end up under scrutiny as a potential mass shooter looking to understand how to best foil the plan

15 Likes

Next town meeting I’m getting up to the mic and proposing all LE salaries be cut by 50%.

6 Likes

Hope you have the resources to deal with the inevitable arrest for challenging their “authority”. Call your lawyer to be on-call before you try this with a set time for them to show up if they don’t get a “stand down” from you.

16 Likes

You all make a good point. I do believe I’ll go with several other concerned citizens then. “If our kid’s school is attacked by a gunman, are you all going to stand around outside like a bunch of c***s? I’m not paying taxes for a bunch of fakery, am I?” I’ll see how far that gets us.

8 Likes

That will likely get you tased, at best. Just like it did at least one parent in Uvalde this week.

It can’t be understated the massive levels of “we done fucked up” committed on Tuesday. It’s 3 days on, and the Emperor has already been revealed as being naked. At this rate, next week we’ll find he’s been flayed.

19 Likes