Texas police tell little girl she is in "big trouble" for buying school meal with $2 bill

Yeah, this kind of overreaction is pretty rare. I regularly carry and spend $2 bills. The most common reaction by far (among those places that haven’t gotten used to seeing them from me) is either “I’ve never seen one of these” or “I haven’t seen one of these in a long time”

I have had people having to “ask the manager” or ask another employee or whatever - typically about 5-20 percent of my interactions, especially among yonger people. But I’ve never had anyone refuse or argue about it

2 Likes

Surely the body mod community ought to have an answer for this by now?

1 Like

Really, autocorrect? I mean, REALLY? “Conductibility”?

2 Likes
3 Likes

To be clear, I do support the concept of public schools. But that is an interesting point about police and public schools…

I really don’t know about charter schools. Do they have police on site?

I do know with the local private schools they don’t. So calling the police in on a matter would involve actually calling the police. VS a public school where there is an officer already in the building. So if this happened in my kids school, (assuming that everyone was ignorant to the existence of $2 bills), the principle and parents would have handled the matter, not the police.

So using the old adage, “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” If you have a brick in your hand and need to drive in a nail, you’re more likely to use it instead of getting the proper tool.

1 Like

There was a story a while back about a person from West Virginia who got in trouble with the police in TX for having a WV drivers license. They said there is no such state.

8 Likes

Maybe so, now that cops generally think of themselves more in the “hammer” mode than the “Officer Friendly” public servant one.

Good to hear you at least support public schools in priniciple, if not in your own parental actions.

2 Likes

I (ahem, allegedly) used to know someone who knew someone was making some very good snide bills in the early 90s. £20 notes went for £10, fivers cost £3 or so, but they sold plenty. Just as expensive to make, but a lot easier to pass, cos who’s going to look that hard at a fiver? Even 20+ years ago.
/remembers when beer was less than £1 a pint, kicks people off lawn.
/

3 Likes

3 Likes

It’s Texas. That’s where we keep “those kinds of people”.

3 Likes

I have an irrational love for $2 bills and other oddball (I like to think of it as artisinal) currency. It’s worth it for the confused looks when I spend something like a $1 Sacajawea coin or way out of print currency.

As a kid I used to collect stamps and the man that ran the collector shop I would frequent would sometimes give me $1 silver certificates in change. I’d relish the confused looks that people would give me when I would spend them elsewhere. Last time I was in Canada, I bought some items from the canteen with some 1950s series $1 bills and I think that temporarily broke the cashier’s brain.

I guess this is one of the small ways I rebel.

15 Likes

This one amused me.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Forged-note-blunder-set-cost-graduate-defence-job/story-11628258-detail/story.html

1 Like

No one had the common sense to google $2 bill, They all thought there knowledge of currency was complete and perfect and that they where infallible. The administrator should be fired on the spot, for believing it is impossible for themselves to be wrong.

13 Likes

When I was a kid some used-furniture and random bricabrac stores sold $1 silver certificates for ~$1.50; they had no real rarity value but were a conversation piece. The problem was that if you stuck them in your wallet you’d inevitably forget and spend them.

And like a counterfeiter would be all ‘LETS MAKE UP A NON-EXISTANT DENOMINATION!’

4 Likes

Texas is the new Florida.

2 Likes

Southern states are the reason I support the right of secession.

3 Likes

Aw, c’mon. Donald Trump went to private schools, and he could very well be the next President.

2 Likes

Damn you for tainting my righteous fury.

2 Likes

That was one of the first electronic messages I printed out and saved (on a dot-matrix printer, natch). This was at IBM, 1993 or 1994, several years before they (or we, at least) switched to actual email.