Texas police tell little girl she is in "big trouble" for buying school meal with $2 bill

well spotted.

Wikipedia has a high resolution image of a two dollar federal reserve note

However, they are pretty common

Note that more recent two dollar bills have an engraving of the signing of the Decalaration of Independence. This one has Monticello on the back.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve specifically gone into banks and gotten $2 bills specifically to see if I can get this exact reaction. Has never worked. Clearly, I need to move my experiment from upstate NY to Texas.

5 Likes

Just saw one on eBay (also circulated, with writing on it) going for $40.

1 Like

Those of you BB regulars who are familiar with my generally optimistic view of human nature and predisposition to give others the benefit of the doubt will understand where Iā€™m coming from when I say fā€”k each and every adult who played a role in advancing this situation, especially those who knew better and said nothing.

I canā€™t wait for the day when Danesiah Neal and others of the Galvanized Generation are eligible to run for office.

16 Likes

Technically they are illegal to own and have to be turned over for destruction.

Iā€¦er someone i knowā€¦used to do this all the time in highschool. before photocopiers had anti currency measures and when the vending machines just shown a light through a plate to verify the bill. it used to work. it might still work in really old machines. most new machines it is a no go. ā€¦or so iā€™ve heard from myā€¦erā€¦friend.

9 Likes

A few years ago there was a post on Fark that became internet legendary - an apocryphal account of a man trying to use a $2 bill at Taco Bell. As the story goes, the restaurant calls the cops, but in this tale, the cops actually back up the consumer, confirming that a Jeffrey actually is legal tender. I guess truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

6 Likes

Isnā€™t it also a gold note? as denoted by the red seal?
i have always been told:
red seal = gold note (backed by gold)
blue seal = silver note (backed by silver)
green seal = not backed by anything.

is this not correct?

1 Like

Fun fact: The million dollar bill guy was arrested, but the prosecutor dropped the charges because thereā€™s no such thing as a real million dollar bill, so creating one isnā€™t counterfeiting

8 Likes

15 Likes

If sheā€™s in trouble its for snooping around grandmaā€™s house and finding an old $2 bill. Thatā€™s one of the older bills with the red seal. For some reason my parents had me save several $2 bills. I have several in my bank at home. But I only have one with the red seal.

Every year or so we get some news story of someone not realizing $2 are real. You would think everyone would know by now.

1 Like

Oh dear. Looks like you failed reading comprehension. Back to the eighth grade for you. The word ā€œteacherā€ does not appear in the original article nor in Mr. Frauenfelderā€™s summary.

So, congratulations to you personally for seeding distrust in teachers.

A healthy democracy is based on the citizenry having a reasonable healthy distrust of all levels of government. That distrust breeds diligence and oversight.

Without that distrust ā€¦ without that diligence ā€¦ without that oversight ā€¦ young girls of color get unconstitutionally detained when they try to buy lunch.

5 Likes

Thanks for FTFM.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. OLD gold notes I think are red, but they made red seals that were Legal Tender Notes:

1 Like

I used to go to the bank and specifcally ask for old bills, in order to spend them. A $2 bill as a tip at a bar got me more attention than the people leaving 5s and 10s.

I gave it up, though, after a clerk swiped my ancient $5 with an anti-counterfeit pen, and declared the bill to be fake and should be confiscated. I pointed out the pen only worked on currency post 1962 (or whenever) and the bill was from 1960, but he insisted it was fake, and would only give it back when I demanded a receipt.

I paid with other more-modern currency, and sadly gave up the habit.

::LE SIGH::

6 Likes

Gold certificates have orange seals.

Unfortunately (for my sense of presentation), thereā€™s no Ten Dollar United States Note.

Hereā€™s a 5 buck version.

note that the metal is not specified. You could demand a federal reserve note, I suppose.

5 Likes

Oh I see, this story is from reason.com (ā€œFREE MINDS AND FREE MARKETSā„¢ā€). Okay, Iā€™ll fall in line and respond appropriately:

Nanny state! Nanny state!! Government baadddd!!! Freedom Gooodddd!!!

(There now, I hope the Koch brothersā€™ Siamese smile got even bigger.)

4 Likes

I was going to say, the Silver certificates all say it somewhere. I have never seen a gold one in the wild.

2 Likes

The bill in the picture is from circa 1960. Anything post 1950ish is generally very common (with respect to conductibility, at least). Given the condition itā€™s in, itā€™s worth two dollars. Maybe three. How much effort that extra dollar is worth varies from person to person, Iā€™m sure, but likely not by much. An uncirculated bill from the same year might be worth 8 or 10 bucks.

Upon closer inspection of the original article, I see that itā€™s actually a screed against ā€œpublic schools.ā€ In fact, this one gets labeled as such in the very first line, and then more prominently here:

This may seem like a small, silly story, but the grandmother has it exactly right: public schools overwhelmingly assume that childrenā€™s misdeeds represent criminal wrongdoing and should be referred to the police. If little Danesiah had actually been attempting to pass off a fake $2 bill as legal tender, it was the schoolā€™s job to discipline her, not a matter for the police. And yet law enforcement is routinely brought in to handle the most trivial behavioral disputes in public schools.

Thatā€™s right, these idiots who overreacted to the sight of a $2 bill supposedly did so because they work for public schools. So I guess if those idiots were instead working for a profit-driven charter school, this wouldnā€™t have happened? Mmm hmm, riiiiiight.

Reason.com is a propaganda outlet for free-market fundamentalists. Sucks how effective it is at ensnaring people who otherwise seem able to see through plutocratic agendas.

23 Likes

Congratulations to you as well for your success in pedantry. May your self esteem be ever propped up by it.

5 Likes