Texas police tell little girl she is in "big trouble" for buying school meal with $2 bill

A restaurant I occasionally go to has a whole line of counterfeit bills they’ve received mounted up on a wall.

There’s a $1 bill in the lineup. It always baffles me that anyone would actually go to all that trouble to forge a bill that small…

7 Likes

An amusing idea, however if the girl tried something like that, the cop would probably body-slam her.

2 Likes

Please Texas, keep up the good work.

[note sarcasm & schadenfreude]

1 Like

The portrait hasn’t even been commissioned yet. And it will be engraved. Not ugly ass greyscale.

I know, but I’m still rooting for Judgmental Harriet.

(Some people keep asking “why does she look so angry in all those photos?” To which the obvious answer is “she had a lot to be angry ABOUT.”)

30 Likes

[quote=“Nonentity, post:42, topic:77637”]
There’s a $1 bill in the lineup. It always baffles me that anyone would actually go to all that trouble to forge a bill that small…
[/quote]There’s a cliche of people photocopying $1 bills to fool vending machines, which would be the laziest possible form of “counterfeiting” but would qualify (also: I have no idea whether it ever works). I can imagine some kid having done that and being moved to try to pass the result elsewhere.

I guess they’d also be one of the easiest to pawn off at a bar or restaurant because if you handed over a stack of bills to a cashier in a dimly lit room you could just make sure the top bill was legit and hope they didn’t look too closely at the rest.

1 Like

Any Sam & Max reference gets my like.

3 Likes

Congratulations everyone involved for seeding distrust in teachers, administration and the police.

12 Likes

I came here to post about that.

Also, Steve Wozniak’s antics with $2 bills are legendary.

Like buying them from the mint in sheets and cutting them out with scissors when pay for something in the store. Or having a print shop gum them into pads, like stationery pads, that he can tear off and spend.

Yes, he’s found himself talking to security officers and Secret Service officials.

17 Likes

I was burned by this phenomenon trying to buy drinks at a bar in NYC on my 21st birthday. I had my newly renewed Maine license around 2002 after they switched to a new design. The bartender was like “Yeah, I can’t accept that.” It doesn’t help that there’s only about a million of us walking around, what are the chances I was one of the real ones?

1 Like

This happened in the United States, what kind of country allows this kind of thing to happen.

Well, nowadays with chip cards you have to leave it in the buttcrack, let the stripper dance around a little, then take it back once it’s done processing. Not as sexy, somehow. But if you use debit, you get to put in your PIN…ok, you know what? comment done.

17 Likes

You can do that with ones. Something I haven’t been evil enough to do is cut some out so 2 of them are attached/uncut still and mutter ooops and get out different bills. Today I am sure that it would get me a visit from an officer as opposed to a cashier going ‘wait a minute, oh so yeah that’s pretty cool’.

4 Likes

Most evidence suggests that the US doesn’t have much in the way of standards for these positions.

8 Likes

Interestingly, it is a united states note rather than a federal reserve note…

3 Likes

I guess the real question here is how in the hell are any of the school administrators, teachers, cops, cafe workers (Really ANY of the adults that were in a position to say “two dollar bills are real and legal”) NOT ALL FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!!

I mean…if you do not know what legal tender is…WHY ARE YOU EMPLOYABLE??

7 Likes

What’s interesting is that the bill in the picture, with the red seal and serial numbers is a silver certificate, which makes it fairly collectible, and likely worth more than $2.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that might be why they thought it was counterfeit (rather than the $2 denomination), in that it has the red seal of a United States note instead of the more common Federal Reserve note’s green seal. Still idiotic behavior though.

This is part of a larger report:

Ted Oberg Investigates could not find a single white student
suspect in these documents. There is one in Cy-Fair, but he is 27 years
old and not a student. All the rest were largely black and to a lesser
extent, Hispanic.

Excerpted from:
Ted Oberg Investigates - Lunchroom Lunacy

7 Likes