Texas releases full dashcam video of Sandra Bland's arrest

That sounds like a story worth hearing.

1 Like

It’s a bit extreme, but the sentiment is basically what I am getting at.

I don’t understand why you think this is acceptable and we should just accept it. It’s not. These cops work for us… we pay their taxes which puts money in their pockets. The fact that the black community is disproportionately targeted makes it all the worse.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s acceptable; I’ve been very clear on this point earlier in the thread, which you are welcome to revisit. My point is one of best practice.

I think what everyone responding to you is attempting to convey is that it’s completely unacceptable to your responders that “best practice” is the exact same thing as “cowering in submission to authority.” Just remember next time that you’re pulled over, the officer may act capriciously, and submission may not be enough to keep you unharmed.

6 Likes

Cowering in fear is also a terrible response, and absolutely not equivalent to what I am suggesting. Absolutely don’t do this, because the police will assume you have something to hide.

As some have pointed out, ‘respect’ might not be the right word either. Being ‘deferential’, perhaps? ‘Polite’?

You’re right that It could happen to me, just like it could happen to anyone. I’m not unaware of this, and have outlined changes that need to be made to the system so it doesn’t happen to anyone. If I didn’t think it could happen to me, I probably wouldn’t be advocating for ‘best practice’.

Not really.

The potential benefit to the community where it happened would be the removal of two corrupt cops. It happened long enough ago that the cops involved have very likely departed their mortal coils. With the cops no longer serving as cops that community would not benefit from the tale.

There were two so their narrative, if they ever gave one, would very likely be believed over mine. History would not benefit from the tale.

It was a stroke of great luck that stopped them from succeeding rather than some genius on my part. My only words of wisdom are, “hope you get really lucky.” Hardly helpful to a contemporary.

The tale itself has no entertainment value: Cops pulled me over. Cops tried to plant evidence. Cops failed. Cops left.

2 Likes

Regardless of fear, I think your grouping is troublesome. Here are some other groups to think about:

Groups of Priests
Groups of raggedy-assed bikers
Groups of students
Groups of (pick ethnicity)
Groups of gay pride parade participants

I generally try to fear either individuals or institutions, not groups.

1 Like

There’s not enough evidence to conclude that victims could reduce risk of injury during traffic stops by respect, deference … fear. It’s just an assumption, and one that happens to fit a problematic bias of victim-blaming that confuses more than it clarifies.

6 Likes

I dunno… since there actually is a long history of groups of white supremacists actually attacking people, I’d say fearing them is rather a healthy thing to do.

Although a group of nuns can be rather scary… if you’re the pope:

Or O’Neil from Orange is the New Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXQ8OSZyFNI

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.