Texas Rep. Jackson says it's "unfortunate" media blames shootings on guns when "rap and video games" are the culprit (video)

I grew up playing “Tetris”, and now I am the L-shaped piece that comes along at the worst possible moment when you have nowhere to put it.

24 Likes

He’s saying it to the same sacks who believed it in the 90’s. They’re just older sacks now.

8 Likes

Karl Marx Deal With It GIF by Amy

8 Likes

It has been… (checks watch) forty years, just about to the day, since I first heard this presented as a dire threat to the youth.

12 Likes
1 Like

My compulsion to climb down open sewer pipes and jump on turtles did not end as well for me.

18 Likes

It’s strange how Australia’s murder rate from firearms fell sharply after automatic and semiautomatic weapons were banned even though they kept listening to rap and playing video games.

It’s almost - almost - like there might be a causative effect between guns and gun violence.

20 Likes

“I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die” is about the most gangster lyric ever, and it’s a JOHNNY CASH song.

“Rap” is not the problem

26 Likes

They know that. They’re just trying to blame anything but the real problem.

12 Likes

Rap music? When did his republican handbook last include rap music as an excuse for anything? He’s not even trying, I’d get fired from my job for being that lazy.

Also…

6 Likes

Son, that’s the worst dog whistle I’ve ever heard. He’s not even from Chicago!

1 Like

13 Likes

A counter argument to Rep. Jackson.

15 Likes

Possibly the most self-aware thing he’s ever said. Even if he’s not aware of it.

3 Likes

Looks like Louie Gohmert has some more competition for Stupidest Person In Congress.
This guy’s district runs from North Texas between the Metroplex & the Red River, across to the Panhandle. I would bet money he ran as a Trumpanzee:
Some not-so-shocking details
Jackson is among the Republican legislators who participated in the months-long, multifarious attempted coup following the 2020 presidential election…These legislators pumped the lies and preposterous legal arguments about the election that motivated the January 6, 2021 insurrection at the Capitol.

Also, probably not surprisingly:
In 2022, the House Committee on Ethics announced it would extend its investigation of allegations of campaign finance violations.

His voting record is… interesting.
This is his first [and hopefully only] term in Congress.

4 Likes

I remember when video games and rap music were introduced as scary dreadful evils. A t first blus, it seemed this happened because blaming Rock and Roll was no longer acceptable? But then I noticed WHO was being blamed, and since then I always figured the ‘blaming rap music’ was just a way to blame Black people for crime.

Which is odd, bc the gun crimes these days are mostly white people.

What? Hypocrisy and lies from the Republicans? That can’t be!

8 Likes

The video game excuse doesn’t work so well when huge swathes of the adult population have played or do play video games. They’re not scary and confusing and alien to most Americans any more. We remember how it felt as kids when they tried to blame Columbine on our harmless entertainment, then did nothing to prevent similar massacres from happening again, and again, and again, and again, and it’s the same goddamn people still trying to peddle their ancient scapegoats now. These useless fossils need to go back in the dirt where they belong.

5 Likes

I believe the same IQ test exists both for gun ownership and for membership of the GQP.

4 Likes

Also, rap music came from, you know, those people.

4 Likes

I was born in 1969. I have been enjoying rap and video games since the 1980s. My mother, who was born in the 1940s, has been playing video games since 1982 and still does to this day. My grandparents, who fought in WWII and lived through the Great Depression, also played video games back in the day. They did not care for “the rap” but they really didn’t think of it any differently than the “Rock and Roll”…it was just more youth music.

My grandfathers who fought, got their Purple Hearts, and killed who knows how many other young men…never used a gun again to kill anything. If I played with sticks pretending to use it as a gun, they were disturbed. If I pointed a toy gun at another person, it was the end of the fucking play session, and the toy gun was fucked and gone forever. If they found themselves standing in view on a hill, they were fucking disturbed. When they had dementia, they started talking about the killing, shitting, dead children, people fucking in closets on the troop ship, people eating cats and dogs, etc.

In other words, this is 100% racist bullshit.

9 Likes