Texas schoolteacher "not a racist" because she only "almost" wants citywide segregation

“Let the bashing of my true and honest AND BENIGHTED AND INHUMAN AND SOCIOPATHIC opinion begin…”

3 Likes

If she was fired, then that’s good. The district was following the policy they described on page 68 of their employee handbook.

It’s not like it took me more than 5 minutes on Google to find it. One would assume that an actual employee of the district would have EASIER access to it, and might actually be required to read it.

http://sww.frenship.us/cms/lib3/TX01917862/Centricity/Domain/44/EHB%20-2014.2015.pdf

4 Likes

No, but this woman posted something, unprompted, that was really terrible and was directly related to her job, which is teaching children. Her inability to not see black children as “other” affects her ability to interact with children who happen to be children of color.

You’re gender identity and arguing with TERFs, and (at least, depending on what your job is) likely isn’t related to your work. You shouldn’t be fired for arguing online in that case, and law suits should ensue if this happened to you. If you were, I’d hope that the transgendered community and allies would rally to your defense…

9 Likes

We don’t have a huge amount of power, and the person I mean is a gay attorney who paints objections to her as homophobia, sidelining a huge chunk of any support I’d get. Apples and oranges, I know. Still. That woman was an asshat, and I shed no tears for her, I just … I don’t know, maybe I shouldn’t be that girl.

Normally I disagree when someone gets fired for something they’ve said/done outside of work, but I don’t know if the school had much choice in this case because she ended her ability to successfully do her job. She can’t go back to being put in a position of authority over the black children in her classes, and they can’t segregate the classes to avoid it.

15 Likes

That makes lots of sense to me - I can certainly see that angle.

1 Like

You’re right, which makes you a vulnerable community which deserves some legal protections. And this whole division between some members of the gay community and the trans community is deeply upsetting and shouldn’t exist. I’m sorry it does.

I think you have genuine concerns here, actually - so don’t fret that you’re being “that girl” - you were right to express them, I think. I’m not attempting to dismiss them. I just wanted to suggest that I think it is apples and oranges. Doesn’t mean you’re not part of a vulnerable community and losing a job wouldn’t be terrible for you, but that I think it would be something different than what happened here, that would mean you should have redress (whether you’d get it or not is probably another story of course, and as you said, you’re vulnerable). As @plstryagin suggested, she made it clear she can’t do her job properly.

Of course, if she had said this over beers to someone, we wouldn’t know about it, and she could go on spewing her vile in the classroom.

2 Likes

Was she fired?

The statement only says she was relieved of her teaching duties.

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t know. I saw it on a Raw Story link; maybe they have to go through a formal process before actually firing her? Prolly a lawsuit, too, knowing how things work.

1 Like

She’s in Texas, she can be fired for farting if they want. A suit would be a wasted effort, they wouldn’t even consider settling in all likelihood.

2 Likes

She is and was entirely free to say what she said. She’s just not free from the consequences.

15 Likes

Oh she was and still is free to say these things as publicly and loudly as she wants.
And we have the right to ridicule her stupid ideas.
And it appears the school seeing she is not fit/willing to properly teach some of her students has shown her the door.

6 Likes

Now, let the purging of social media accounts and updating of resumes begin….GO!”

2 Likes

You can put away your xkcd references :smile: I wasn’t defending her, just laughing at those who see this kind of reaction as an attack on free speech and religious/political belief. If people have to step down because they openly express bigoted and discriminatory beliefs that show them to be incapable of conducting their job properly, I’d say they’ve done everyone a favour by making their immediate departure inevitable.

4 Likes

Sorry to here about the TERFs.

Something about being a teacher, though: if Texas law is anything like the law I taught under, you are never fully “off-duty”. In teacher’s college we studied a case where a teacher was fired for drinking at what the general community considered an unsavoury establishment. How did they get caught? One of their student’s parents was drinking at the same place and complained.

And while I think that particular case was unfair, anyone working as a teacher knows they work under those conditions.

3 Likes

1 Like

This is what people say when they don’t have any black friends…

d’oh… well still good to state it for the actual trolls.

1 Like

I’d like to hear a Real Texan ™ pronounce “Wolfforth”.

Nope.

I used to feel like you generally shouldn’t suffer professional consequences for the stupid shit you say on your private facebook account, but I’ve learned to accept that anything you post on facebook can be treated as if you were shouting it in a public square.

I still have mixed feelings about whether it should be this way. The fact that an apparently private conversation can suddenly become public is the type of thing that can have unjustifiably severe and unexpected consequences. If I wanted to promote that theory though, this isn’t the test case I’d pick

1 Like