Texas sheriff opens an investigation into DeSantis' kidnapping of migrants, believes there is "some criminal activity here"

More specifically, if I am not mistaken the FL airport is in Okaloosa County (it’s unclear to me which airport – possibly the public/nonmilitary part of Eglin AFB). That’s Matt Gaetz’s district.

7 Likes
15 Likes

Correct. Not quite the armpit of Florida, but close enough.

12 Likes
19 Likes

Seems like there’s some federal charges to be had here, too - after all these people were kidnapped and trafficked across state lines. Plus federal employees falsified documents as part of this. In addition to the civil suits. I don’t know that DeSantis can reasonably claim his actions were within the scope of his role as governor of the state.

The weird thing is, it sounds like they don’t normally do charter flights. Supposedly they’re a flight school. Though they also have ties to Kremlin-connected businesses, buying tens of millions of dollars worth of Russian aircraft. They’re a bit… suspect, in general.

16 Likes

surprised i don't believe you GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

Certainly not. Such a bizarre stunt to kidnap immigrants in Texas and fly them to Massachusetts on Florida’s dime. If I was a Florida taxpayer I’d be furious. This is more like a *chan stunt than an act of elected government.

18 Likes

Similarly, California is way more red than people think it is. Outside of LA and SF it’s basically the Deep South attitudes-wise. All this speaks to how broken the US election systems are. Nobody is even close to well represented by their government at any level (least of all federal).

19 Likes

Land of Nixon and Reagan among others.

12 Likes

Mel B Good Luck GIF by America's Got Talent

18 Likes

So after Matt Gaetz, DiSantis is the 2nd Florida government official engaging in human trafficking.

13 Likes

Just a note to newsfolk not familiar with the San Antonio area.
Bexar County. is not pronounced “Becks-are”. Formerly known as “San Antonio de Bejar”, it is pronounced more like “Bear” or “BAY-er”.

14 Likes

The suggestion has been made that this was at least organized by some sort of “right-wing prankster” group (i.e. criminal assholes) and DeSantis somehow got involved at some point, perhaps quite late in the process. (But he still very much implicated himself in this, so we’ll just take him at his word…) Either way, DeSantis and the Trumpian Republicans very much are behaving like 'channers more and more frequently, so it’s hard to distinguish.

12 Likes

the texas gop pioneered the practice of using computers to gerrymander. ( tom delay if i’m remembering right ) they managed to split austin into 5 different districts, the lines zigzagging around individual neighborhoods then shooting out to the state borders

it demoralizes voters completely

17 Likes

I’m sure that’s a coincidence.

12 Likes

we’re so terribly sorry to have undermined your faith in the system. would repealing the 8 hour day and minimum wage laws make you feel any better? more tax cuts for the rich or scapegoating immigrants maybe?

10 Likes

Two rabid raccoons in a rucksack.

5 Likes

It’s gratifying to hear about this. It’s a mystery why LE and prosecutors at the receiving cities aren’t impounding buses and aircraft as evidence. Let the perps try and find transport contractors after THAT.

8 Likes

He took credit for it, so it seems he wanted the cred with his base for “sticking it to the libs hurr hurr” via a little fun human trafficking against their will. Sigh.

That explanation you laid out certainly seems plausible.

7 Likes

Yes, failed joke aside,1000% agreed that an LEO, especially one elected as the boss of local LEOs, should do the right thing.

I’m just so used to news articles about the opposite of this, especially when specific states are thrown in (Texas being one of the worst offenders in the news), that it seems like Bizarro world when the right thing happens.

1 Like