Texas' state run psychiatric hospitals are now gun friendly

I am sorry to have upset you. Wetware solutions and the power of our own feet solve most problems far better than expecting others to just accomodate our every feeling, or do our backing down for us.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a problem with the thrust of Bryanā€™s joke.

The problem I have is that inmate leads to confinement, and, in the mental health context, confinement is involuntary. It stereotypes psychiatric facilities as places where people are held against their will. It doesnā€™t leave room for the people who recognize they need help and voluntarily sign themselves in. As weā€™ve already seen in this thread, some of us have voluntarily sought treatment in a psychiatric hospital, and such treatment does not always entail confinement. Ken White at Popehat wrote a truly moving recount of his own experience. We already have perfectly cromulent words like patient and inpatient. Letā€™s use those.

And before you call me pedantic, know that I believe that using teachable moments to discuss preferred nomenclature is an effective pedagogical technique.

7 Likes

to add to and also diverge from your point. In the mental health context, compulsion is also involuntary.

Which was my point about wetware (ones thinking processes) and the power of your feet (walking away) from situations where one might be feelā€¦ aw jeezā€¦ look at the nomenclature on this oneā€¦ triggered.

1 Like

We all have our favoured causes. One of mine happens to be reducing the stigma of mental health treatment because I believe that leads to fewer mass shootings.

{checks} yep, still on topic.

7 Likes

I sure do try to get back around to it. But sometimesā€¦

1 Like

So, you canā€™t have a plastic fork, but a sidearm is okay? I boggle.

In a similar vein:

5 Likes

Some psychiatrists donā€™t like the word ā€œpatientā€ because it implies lack of agency. The term ā€œresidentā€ has come to be applied to a member of the medical staff. It is surprisingly difficult to find a ā€œsafeā€ word.

3 Likes

Inpatient is the preferred term in the UK, unless a judge put you in Broadmoor.

I didnā€™t realize this was the High Street!

mā€™lord

1 Like

Tell those brain-focued hippies to take it up with the cardiologists.

From the perspective of the person being treated, health care should be health care. Donā€™t push unproven mind/body dualism shop talk onto sick people who need help.

2 Likes

I think this is an interesting point, because although itā€™s most often used to refer to prisoners, itā€™s only because prisoners are discussed more often than patients, Iā€™d say it doesnā€™t mean the same thing as ā€œconvict.ā€ If thereā€™s a shift in connotations, itā€™s because people donā€™t realize it refers to ā€œa person confined to an institution such as a prison or hospital.ā€ But I suppose it wouldnā€™t be the first word that has taken on a connotation in the US because most people didnā€™t know the definitionā€¦

6 Likes

Thatā€™s disgusting! You should know by now that you are supposed to wash them regularly.

2 Likes

What?

A cardiology patient doesnā€™t usually help out with their own triple bypass. You are creating a false equivalence.
In psychiatric hospitals are everything from people so seriously ill that if left to themselves they will die very quickly - of self starvation, self harm or collecting a lethal dose of medicine - to people who are there because they have a condition into which they have perhaps a considerable degree of insight, who will probably only be there a few weeks, and play an active role in their own treatment. I donā€™t see where Cartesianism comes into this. It is exactly like people with diabetes or IBS learning to manage their own condition.

As I say, completely false equivalence. Why are you so angry?

ECT is not a false equivalence. People who elect ECT often experience short-term memory disruption that can span days or weeks. During the interim period between shocks, and during recovery, they are often cared for by nurses, aides, and other healthcare providers in a safe inpatient environment.

1 Like

3 Likes

Youā€™re misreading the article. Visitors, delivery drivers & cops can now bring in guns. Patients? Hey, theyā€™re mentally disturbed. Under Federal & Texas law, that disqualifies them from having guns legally. (Of course, I now remember the asylum scene in The Big Red One where one of the patients grabs a weapon & starts shooting everyone while saying ā€œSee! Iā€™m like you! Iā€™m sane!ā€)

1 Like

even if you are a model citizen. It will have an empathetic lasting effect.

Iā€™ll never agree with your views on firearms. However in this statement, I couldnā€™t agree more. Respect for addressing your needs voluntarily.

1 Like

How am I misreading the article? We didnā€™t send nurses cutlery when they called for food. Having it on the floor at all was considered a hazard.

5 Likes

And now their insurance liability rates went sky highā€¦

Thatā€™s me, reading this excellent thread on parsing the nuances of the English language wherever it may be spoken on this planet.

2 Likes