Texas teacher who tweeted Trump her school was 'taken over' by 'illegal students from Mexico' may be fired

Upperclass twit of the year, indeed.

7 Likes

Ok, being a sheltered Brit, this is the first time I’ve seen the term “Latinx”. At first I thought ‘typo’ but it’s there more than once. What does this new formulation signify (or avoid signifying)?

1 Like

Latino/Latina, I believe.

5 Likes

Ditto for brain surgeons.

10 Likes

Oh wow, that’s how you start a Wednesday!

3 Likes

It’s the ungendered equivalent.

13 Likes

So, it is- thank you.

7 Likes

The Texas state gummint rotunda floor tells the story as well with its state seal all done up in terazzo:

txstoryfloor

I always thought is a bit odd, that in some cultures, to walk upon something is to insult it:

But in Texas this is apparently not the case.

3 Likes

I think that that is one fallacious juxtaposition you got there..

But I guess The Internet has a logic even more specious than that of Texas.

In the “built environment” humans seem to have long internalized William McDonough’s old saw “design signals intention.”

A tile mosaic depicting U.S. President George H.W. Bush was installed on the floor of the lobby after the Persian Gulf War. This was intended to force any visitors to walk over his face to enter the hotel (a serious insult in Arab culture). On 17 January 1993, the hotel was damaged in a US missile strike and the attack resulted in civilian casualties.[1] The artist, Layla Al-Attar, who did the mosaic died along with her husband and housekeeper when another stray US missile hit her house. After the invasion in 2003, the mosaic was smashed by U.S. soldiers, who left a portrait of Saddam Hussein behind.[2]

Two terazzo floors in the public space (Austin, Baghdad).
Two different messages.

Kinda reminds me of a semiotics joke where a fish symbol on the back bumper of a car signals “I am a Christian” and a fish symbol on a can of catfood signals “this tastes like fish.”

Texas “logic” is pretty hard to grok, if there be any.

ETA: location location location

3 Likes

I disagree. Let these fools publicly embarrass/incriminate themselves as often as possible. I say give ‘em enough rope to either hang themselves or build a swing.

3 Likes

More like The Omega Man scenario … you know, Charlton Heston single-handedly fights the Gray (read: Brown and Black) Zombie Hordes for control of the remaining consumer goods in post-apocalyptic America:

1 Like

That’s too bad, but hardly surprising.

Lots of talented people are also insufferable assholes.

10 Likes

Thank you for saving me the effort of looking for this this photo.

5 Likes

To add to the discussion.

I forget who posted on the BBS previously. My searchfu failed me. Speak up if it was you.
https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/10/im-latino-hispanic-difference/

4 Likes

I really like the term latinx as it cuts to the root of inherent prejudice in language without being obtuse or coopting other words that have confusing meaning like “they/them”. I get the need for a gender neutral word, but it really should be a neologism and not something that confuses established usage. But whatever, acceptance is established by usage so it will either catch on and become standard or fade into the past.

I was waiting for “That’s not me… That’s not who I am,” but she seems pretty comfortable with it, just not very Twitter-savvy.

2 Likes

…or get elected.

3 Likes

Since you’ve been brave enough to admit it, I will too - I have never tweeted and it’s entirely possible that I would screw up in some way which would amuse the entire world!

1 Like

Singular “they” was in use long before it became plural only.

14 Likes