Texas' Ted Cruz says protests outside Supreme Court justice's homes worse than Jan 6 insurrection

Originally published at: Texas' Ted Cruz says protests outside Supreme Court justice's homes worse than Jan 6 insurrection | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Ted Cruz, once again, lying.

35 Likes

Oh gee those poor supreme court justices. Unable to get an ounce of privacy in their own personal lives. Certainly gives them a lot to think about.

31 Likes

That is not how Texas works.

25 Likes

Not soon enough. It’s kinda tough with all the voting restrictions

16 Likes

Funny how nobody in the MSM is making a big deal out of this, while at the same time expressing shock and horror about people protesting in front of SCOTUS judges homes.

It wasn’t so long ago that SCOTUS ruled it was first amendment protected speech to allow anti-abortion activists to protest outside the homes of people that work at women’s clinics.

ETA since apparently this has become a meme on Twitter without any citations, here’s the actual case:

Madsen v. Women's Health Center, Inc. - Wikipedia.

42 Likes

I have no song writing experience, but I may try to write a song and dedicate it to Ted Cruz. It will be called, “Fuck That Guy” and the verses and choruses will consist entirely of singing “Fuck That Guy” over and over again. I might throw in a “Christ, What An Asshole” just to keep things interesting.

12 Likes

Lyrics:

16 Likes

Nice, but way too well written for what I want.

8 Likes

Ted Cruz, a boil on the ass of humanity. Good job Ted…

10 Likes
  1. If no damage has occurred and no one has died, it’s no where near as bad as Jan 6.
  2. If you don’t want to be subject to public protests, don’t take up a position of public power.
20 Likes

Shocked gif GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

10 Likes

tenor-10

9 Likes

They upheld residential picketing bans in Frisby v. Schultz (1988), but then proceeded to make it more complicated than Fizzbin. “You can’t do a targeted residential protest, unless there could be a parade, or it overlaps a public sidewalk on a Tuesday…”

I foresee an awkward moment when the Supreme Court has to decide a 1st amendment case over protests at the homes of Supreme Court justices.

They had decades to produce a clear decision about this, but made it a dog’s dinner of contradictions. Oh well, bon appetit!

16 Likes

15 Likes

The proposition of Conservatism: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.
– Frank Wilhoit

14 Likes

Maybe we should write a songbook. My own protest song is the words “Greedy Bastards” repeated ad infinitem to the tune “Bread of Heaven”. You could do your “Fuck that Guy” to the tune “Flop-eared Mule”. I’ve just had another idea, “There are Idiots in Government” to the tune “Lloyd George knew my Father”. We’re on a roll here…

5 Likes

We’ve seen frequent - and sometimes quite invasive - protests outside the homes of Democratic lawmakers in recent years, and here in California (and I’m pretty sure we’re not the only ones) there have been huge problems with right-wingers, sometimes armed, showing up and protesting on the front lawns of public health officials over their covid advice, without Republicans having an issue with any of it. And those protests were often quite threatening.

Yeeeepppp… and that people like Westboro Baptist could show up at the funerals of gay people and service members to scream abuse. SCOTUS has been pretty chill about the right to protest even when it was distressing and even threatening to others.

18 Likes
5 Likes

And all the blatant gerrymandering in Texas.

6 Likes