Texas Twinkies now available online

Originally published at: Texas Twinkies now available online | Boing Boing

3 Likes

So they’re jalapeño poppers with some brisket added. Roger that.

I use a 50/50 blend of cream cheese and cheddar plus some minced garlic for the stuffing, then use maple bacon on the wrap. Yummy

16 Likes

I am by no means a vegan, but the vegan version of these is fairly intriguing. I may have to give the recipe a try.

4 Likes

You can’t fool me. I hovered my mouse over the link. :slight_smile:
I have to admit, I thought these were going to be something completely different given the shape when I first saw the cover image.

13 Likes

Same here.

5 Likes

A similar creation is the Dragon Turd: The Jalapeno is stuffed with a mix of chorizo and dried cranberries, wrapped with bacon, then put on the smoker until the bacon is crisp. None of that wimpy cream cheese.

2 Likes

$65/dozen. OK for a special treat.
$64 shipping to the midwest. Bailed.

7 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, cream-cheese-filled-jalapenos are perfect by themselves. Bacon, brisket, and deep frying are an interesting idea but are just unnecessarily “tarting them up.” Plus adding to the cost.

1 Like

I’ve been making a version of these for a long time, and everyone to whom I have ever served them has loved them. The recipe I originally used called them “Atomic Buffalo Turds”, which seems inaccurate but highly descriptive. Anyway, I’ve added a variety of spices to the cheese mixture, like a bit of cajun seasoning or Old Bay, cumin, paprika, smoked salt, curry…can’t go wrong with any of them. You can also substitute pulled pork for the brisket if you have it. Great party appetizers!

6 Likes

I usually hear them called Atomic Buffalo Turds from smoked meat enthusiasts. Never had one myself.

And wrapped in bacon then smoked instead of breaded or battered then deep fried. ABTs are often, but not always, made with half a pepper, which gives you a higher proportion of filling and lets more smoke and bacon flavor get into the filling.

3 Likes

Yes to the half a pepper. I also slightly pre-cook the bacon in the microwave before wrapping so that they don’t have to sit on the grill or under the broiler so long to get finished and crispy. Just a minute or two at half power so they render some fat and still stay flexible enough to wrap the pepper.

4 Likes

$85 to ship to the NE. Also bailed.

2 Likes

What’s the point of naming a food a turd? Do you want folks to associate your treats with shit?

1 Like

Yeah!! Who do they think they are? Taco Bell?

7 Likes

I won’t consider these authentic until they make them shelf stable for gas station racks.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I can make these for considerably cheaper than $5.42 / $10.75 each!

2 Likes

Damn! They are proud of those things aren’t they…
Five bucks a pop, eh? I’ll pass.

I think these will be on the menu when I drag out the smoker and the grill after the temperature & humidity drop a bit more.

2 Likes

I went there. And liked all the vegan variations on the fillings:
Coffee beans to lift you up
Brandy soaked to take you down
Nuts whipped and ground to dessert you
Raw onions to make you cry
Raw garlic, kiss goodbye
Elias wouldn’t tell a lie and hurt you

5 Likes

I’m all empty handed having expected processed armadillo testes or whole cicadas in smoke sauce. Will have to keep virtualizing Texas harder (and pocketing the difference, maybe.)

7 Likes

I once met a guy who was a couch surfer. In addition to being a very conscientious dishwasher, he also made a signature dish that is reminiscent of the Texas Twinkie.

If I recall correctly, he would peel an avocado and cut it in half, remove the pit and fill the pit cavity with manchego cheese. Then he’d put the two avocado halves back together, wrap them in bacon, and fry it (I think he may have used a batter but I’m not sure). I never got to eat one of these, but I definitely thought about having him stay on my couch, just so I could try this out.