Texas woman claims unborn fetus as the second passenger for HOV lane use

I think issues come up when you go to apply the ‘Residency’ requirements for qualifying dependents. Which require the dependent live with you for more than half the year and also specifically mention that being born in a given year automatically qualifies them as residing with you for the half year. This implies that the time spent before birth would not count towards the residency requirement.

2 Likes

You reminded me of the time I saw parents in line at an amusement park arguing at the ticket booth. They were holding an infant while arguing that the baby wouldn’t even remember being there and wouldn’t be going on any rides. The person at the booth said a ticket was required for all children, and they would get in trouble if management did a headcount. :woman_shrugging:t4: Not sure who won that argument, but that policy of charging per head stuck with me. :grimacing:

10 Likes

I remember reading about a women who tried this I don’t know how many years ago. The let her off on the HOV violation but ticketed her for having more than one person behind the steering wheel.

18 Likes

Hi, sorry, former English major here and word and etymology nerd. You should use “sow” in this instance, because it relates to harvesting (reaping) what you have planted through spreading the seeds at the beginning of the season (sowing). Sorry to be a pedant.

17 Likes

Cite?

Conception, Birth Certificates, Social Security Numbers…

Do visitors from other countries now get to claim US citizenship for children conceived while vacationing in the the United States?
And when does the “paperwork” come into play for “people” that could be born at some point?

5 Likes

Movie theaters need to start requiring that all women who wish to gain admission as a single individual produce proof that they’re not pregnant.

3 Likes

children born in the US get automatic citizenship.

6 Likes

Interestingly (frustratingly) I’ve been asked whether my kids count as US citizens since I was not a citizen when they were born in the US.

Never mind that their mother’s side has been living in North America since the last ice age.

15 Likes

They tried to trot out that ignorant shit about the current vice president, too. We have birthright citizenship, though. Some people do not like that and want to go to some more restrictive definition. It’s insane to me.

You don’t get much more American than that, do ya.

18 Likes

Except every true American knows it doesn’t really count if they aren’t using the land by exploiting it in non-sustainable ways. A tedious Russian author said so.

10 Likes

While most summarize the rules in terms of people, the statute is defined in terms of vehicles. A motorcycle is specifically allowed in the HOV lane, not a motorcyclist. You’d need to be riding it.

4 Likes

So, if I am solo, but have a motorcycle in the bed of my truck…?

(All I found were the summaries, not statutes.)

4 Likes

This is already in the works in Texas. There was a This American Life story about it. The red states’ next move is to keep women from trying to leave the state to get abortions. One strategy being tried in Texas is to declare that the fetus is a person, and therefore it counts as transporting a minor over a state line as part of the commission of a crime, which allows them to charge the mother in Texas when she gets back. Their case or one like it will definitely go up to SCOTUS before too long. Possibly as soon as next year.

This is the darkest timeline.

15 Likes

Maybe? But it looks very focused on the vehicle being operated. I’d guess that even if that interpretation was valid, then you’d have two vehicles in the HOV lane—one allowed, one not.

2 Likes

I think she’s “milking it” to try and point out the fucking hypocrisy of ending roe. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

And saw it was a woman and assumed it MUST just be for “attention”? Can we be DONE with that misogynistic trope for all time now. Women speaking or being activists are doing so because they have something to say and are just as entitled to do so as literally any man.

10 Likes

I’ve deleted the comments. Apologies.

2 Likes

Thanks.

5 Likes

What crime? In order for that to be true, a crime would have to be committed. If they had an abortion where it was legal, there’s no crime, therefore no transportation of a minor related to a crime.

It’s all bullshit and doesn’t have a legal leg hair to stand on.

5 Likes