Texas's Attorney General requested a list of all transgender Texans, didn't get it

Like, I know saying “you need to leave Texas” is somewhat ableist and doesn’t help the people who can’t leave, but the head law enforcement officer in your state is making lists of queer people. Let me repeat that: The head prosecutor / law enforcement officer in your state is gathering names, locations, and personal information about queer people.

Yes, he was denied this time, but he won’t be denied down the road I suspect, and THIS is a red line. This should be enough. This is an emergency at the highest level and people need to be considering their personal safety and their exit plans, and if they don’t have an exit plan , they need to be making one. After making the lists all that’s left is the “rounding them up” part. What do people think is going to happen when he gets that list? How fast do you think he’s going to move on people on that list?

4 Likes

#But the list was compiled. It exists and you can bet copies will eventually make their way to malevolent actors.

“DPS staff members compiled a list of 16,466 gender changes between June 1, 2020 and June 30, 2022, public records show. In the emails, DPS staff members repeatedly referred to the request as coming from the attorney general’s office as they discussed attempting to narrow the data to include only licenses that had been altered to reflect a court-ordered change in someone’s gender.“

https://archive.ph/RCItY

14 Likes

Paxton has been under felony indictment for securities fraud for seven years.

(How to distract Texans from above.)

… publicly marshal resources against transgender Texans.

7 Likes

Apocryphal because Japan did have minorities to oppress and massacre.

17 Likes

Hate…uh…finds a way. Even in a homogeneous society.

14 Likes

The problem is that it can verge on victim-blaming. It’s fine to make a heavily qualified but still urgent suggestion to leave, but even under what I agree are dire circumstances there are a bunch of legitimate things (not just disability) that can tie targetted people to remaining in a fascist state.

At the moment, it’s much more productive for the rest of us to ask those Texans not in danger in the state “Are you letting this happen? Are you going to stop this or will you stand by and act like 'Good Germans?”

Here’s an article I just read on the topic from a frightened parent.

13 Likes

Are they planning to hand out badges to the citizens?

4 Likes

I’ve read about It. There are even illegal books with the names of the people of burakumin descend.

ETA oh, It is described in the Wikipedia article.

6 Likes

They are going to require trans people to sew badges on their clothing.

4 Likes

Lots of us already do.

That was Leicester Pride this year, I’ve never been to Texas.

14 Likes

Its a bit different when involuntary.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.