Thai King strolls through mall in tiny crop top, then threatens to sue Facebook for showing video

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/16/thai-king-strolls-through-mall.html

2 Likes

I’m sure this will not get downloaded and then reposted.

6 Likes

The King And Imgur

23 Likes

In Thailand, it’s illegal to poke fun of the king, queen, or crown prince, and can carry a maximum sentence of 15 years.

I’ve got to wonder how recording them walking around a mall constitutes “poking fun”. Was the prince poking fun of himself by being there in the first place?

13 Likes

He should just embrace it. “Yeah that was me. I was rocking it that day. Everybody needs a day off sometime…and that was mine.” He was looking cool as hell. I wish I looked half that cool. No sarcasm I’m being serious.

14 Likes

12 Likes

“Look at the King! Look at the the King! Look at the King, the King, the King!
The King is in the altogether, but altogether, the altogether
He’s altogether as naked as the day that he was born
The King is in the altogether, but altogether, the altogether
It’s altogether the very least the King has ever worn”

Summon the court physician! Call an intermission!
His majesty is wide open to ridicule and scorn.

The King is in the altogether, but all together, the altogether
He’s altogether as naked as the day that he was born
And it’s altogether too chilly a morn!

4 Likes

The King and Thai.

:slight_smile:

14 Likes

Aww, poor little monarch wants to walk around in public like a normal person but also wants to be protected by lèse majesté laws. Put another way, he wants them to let him eat cake and have it, too.

15 Likes

Beg to differ.

If I saw these two on the beach dressed like that, I’d assume they lived there.

5 Likes

I thought the law was intended to prevent harm to his Royal Reputation, and not merely to keep secret who lays His Majesty.

1 Like

This is totally going to ruin his rating on Yelp.

3 Likes

The King And I was set in Siam in 1862 and then Siam became Thailand so yeah there you go

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is still the case but 17 years ago (time flies) I knew a guy who emigrated to Thailand on retirement. To live in a village…anyway, he told me the king was the nicest guy you could hope to meet, extremely laid back, but his problem was his courtiers who kept wanting to throw their weight around and accused people of lese-majesté. Then the king had to step in and pardon them.

5 Likes

That’s the second most embarrassing thing I’ve seen the leader of a country do recently.

14 Likes

Let’s compare to the King of Jordan, shall we?

19 Likes

If you’re not wearing the black sash, you’re not traveling incognito. Respect the tradition your highness.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Ahwah Tana Siam

2 Likes

Siam obliged to you for the reference!

4 Likes