Thai King strolls through mall in tiny crop top, then threatens to sue Facebook for showing video

My limited understanding is that was the old king who was respected and personable. Widely regarded as mostly a nice guy, even by those who disagreed with him. His son, the current king, not so much.

11 Likes

The phrase ‘Dictators in Robes’ keeps flashing through my head though, in this case, ‘Dictator in Crop Top’ seems more appropriate.

4 Likes

I doubt the person himself has any say in what would be forbidden in Thailand. The institution had it’s very own rules, and interpreters of such.

I heard people in Thailand refer to the then-designated monarch as the “Bavarian barbarian”, and they knew it could bring them into jail. It’s a pretty amazing situation since his father died, and the footsteps of his late father are something to fill. Thai kings, to add further complications, are considered semi-divine. I wouldn’t be the least surprised if Thailand would fold itself up for a while and would only reappear under circumstances including the words greatest mathematician, a tattooed lady, and possibly an elderly advisor.

He wasn’t just angry about it. He was fit–

never mind.

8 Likes

That was King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was widely and perhaps deservedly revered by the Thais, and who does seem to have understood the idea of a constitutional monarchy. He did intervene to pardon some people accused of lèse majesté – several Westerners received a royal pardon, if I remember correctly. Not all, however; I know some Thais who still can’t go back to Thailand because of things they said about the royal family.

The current king, Maha Vajiralongkorn, is … a little different. Without going into details, let’s just say that “the nicest guy you could hope to meet” is not a phrase that you’re likely to hear applied to him.

Incidentally, YouTube was also (and may still be) banned in Thailand. That probably had something to do with another video [NSFW] showing Vajiralongkorn’s birthday party, featuring Air Chief Marshal Fufu (the prince’s poodle) and his then wife, Princess Srirasmi (now divorced and decidedly out of favor). If you’re at work, please note that NSFW tag; the princess is wearing rather less than princesses usually wear on occasions when other people are present.

4 Likes

I don’t have enough experience of royals to know whether this is in fact correct. (But yes, thank you for the clarification.)

That’s pretty much Being Royal 101. George III used to do it and terrified farmers. Edward 7th as Prince of Wales used to go to Paris “incognito” to screw actresses, but if you had tried to treat him like a normal person I doubt you would have got very far,
Nowadays politicians just pretend to be normal people for the television.

Dead sexy, yup…

Some modern royals have the graciousness and sense of perspective to understand that they have enough power and privilege that they don’t need a law to spare their fee-fees. But of course, it’s the nature of monarchies that you’re going to eventually end up with a spoiled and thin-skinned loser like the current king inheriting the throne.

That’s changing. Those pick-up hockey games Putin always wins against pros is a good example of an autocratic politician engaging in an activity where he pretends to be “one of the guys.” And now in the U.S. we have our own example of a politician who’s a spoiled son of privilege flaunting a lifestyle that makes Versailles look understated.

6 Likes

I honestly did not know it was possible to have a party that boring with semi-naked women present.

9 Likes

Ms. Streisand would like a word with the king.

4 Likes

If he had just walked around like a “normal person” then this fabulous video would not exist, instead he chose to strut his stuff and rocked a fabulous top.

7 Likes

Is there any explanation for this?

1 Like

If you work anywhere in Thailand it isn’t safe to look at?

No, why she was naked while everyone else was fully clothed. I did a quick search and found out that the king made her appear that way, and made her eat off of the floor at the party which was actually for the dog.

4 Likes

Oh, sorry i missed that. Sounds demeaning and bizarre.

4 Likes

Seriously. I didn’t know either. She just seemed uncomfortable and out of place, so I wondered if there was more to it.

4 Likes

I don’t like the fasict, but Louis #? would eat a huge meal while everyone else in the room just watched

In any case, there’s spoiled brats that film themselves destroying multiple iPhones just because

1 Like

where are these beaches you go to?

i just returned from the beach (the waves are big, clean and beautiful, btw) – and nobody looked even remotely like that.

1 Like

Reportedly, the then-princess had previously worked in establishments that had a rather relaxed dress code, so this was perhaps not her first experience of appearing in public in similar attire. Nevertheless, I don’t think this was her choice of costume for the evening.

Incidentally, that’s her birthday party, not Air Chief Marshal Fufu’s. The Air Chief Marshal, sadly, is no longer with us. He died in 2015, and was honored by his grieving master with an elaborate funeral.

1 Like

Beaches that nobody sleeps on.

These two look like they sleep on the beach