Thai King strolls through mall in tiny crop top, then threatens to sue Facebook for showing video

Oh, is the article incorrect?

“after leaked video footage showed her wearing nothing but a thong and eating off the floor at a birthday party for the prince’s dog in 2005.”

1 Like

Maybe the real scandal is that he listens to Phil Collins?

4 Likes

The Air Chief Marshal was an actual Air Chief Marshal

But did he see this one? https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2016/10/14/11/thai-crown-prince-2-0.jpg

He has a white one and a yellow one. So what!

OMG! That’s awesome!

And I totally did not go to IMDb to verify this.

5 Likes

Isn’t it! He didn’t get any lines in the scene since he wasn’t a SAG member, but it’s good to be the Crown Prince (and now King)!

4 Likes

It’s rather hot in Thailand and the AC was on the Fritz?
Yes… Yes I’m sure that’s it.

That was the old king. Very much not this king.

It does rather seem to be a case of auto-lèse-majesté.

1 Like

One wonders if the monarch is afforded freedom to self-deprecate; or if even he groans under this aspect of despotic monarchy.

Exactly. He could definitely market this as a combination of having the “common touch” and Putin-esque “I can rock the (nearly) shirtless look.”

Somewhat tangentially, when his father Hussein attended Sandhurst (the British military academy, more or less the equivalent of West Point) in the 1950s, he allegedly drew the ire of the Academy Sergeant Major, who addressed him thus: “Your Majesty, you are without doubt the most horrible king I have ever laid eyes on. Now get off my parade ground.”

2 Likes

Apparently, problems with the video from the Thai monarchy’s point of view include:
a) King-to-be in a crop-top
b) Visible tatts on king-to-be
c) The woman he’s walking around with is not his wife.

5 Likes

He should own it. He’s a bit of a freak and I think he should fly the flag high and proud rather than this cover up silliness.

1 Like

Textilist.

2 Likes

Allegedly or not I don’t know, but Hussein himself said that it was an example of the British obsession with getting precedence correct, and that what the SM instructor had said was “You are a horrible little wog, Your Majesty, Sir.” If you have oil or gas, however, it’s a bit different; when my child last went to a ball at Sandhurst a group of rowdy newly passed out cadets were told to keep it down because there were members of the Qatari Royal Family present.

King Hussein was something of a radio amateur, and was a strict follower of the conventions. When his palace was attacked by Palestinian refugees, he called up a contact on shortwave, and apologised for the breach of protocol (not talking politics) while asking if the Foreign Office could be informed. They don’t make monarchs like that any more.

3 Likes

The version that I heard was “You are an idle little king, Mr King, sir.”

Anyone who thinks that this was invented has never met a British sergeant-major.

2 Likes

Yes, but was he a dog? Asking on behalf of Caligula’s horse.

2 Likes

Off topic, but one of my proudest moments occurred back in the 1980s. I was helping install a piece of experimental hardware in a tank, and in order to do so I put on climbing boots and a motorcycle coverall, then got out some rope and crabs to secure myself. The sergeant major observed this, watched me winch up the equipment, and then pronounced “You know, for a boffin you’re quite sensible, sir.” (He then went on to tell me of the guy from another group who had fallen off the same tank the week before and had to be removed to hospital.)

3 Likes

Praise from a senior NCO is about the closest thing that many of us will ever come to getting a personal pat on the back from God.

I remember once getting seriously chewed out for something I’d done wrong. Later, the regimental sergeant-major took me aside and quietly said “You know, that wasn’t your fault. You obeyed the orders that Captain ______ gave you. You shouldn’t take the blame for it.”

I’ve never felt so vindicated in my life. The entire chain of command might be pissed at me, but if the RSM – and this one was a particularly good specimen of the breed, about 5’5" of solid common sense and experience – was on my side, I felt like I couldn’t have screwed up too badly.

4 Likes