Thanksgiving Discussions

I’m glad you’re reasonably ok, like you imply it could’ve been a lot worse, so i hope you don’t think it insensitive of me if i ask how your dog is. Presumably it got out of this unscathed? Hope you have a swift recovery.

1 Like

]This has been showing up on my FB feed lately

(If you went to see COCO and you didn’t cry, send me your picture so I can place it on the altar (of the dead), because you’re already dead inside insensitive bastard)

4 Likes

A lot of people ask!

Ivory was walking ahead of me on a 6’ leash, and totally out of the way. I managed to hold onto her leash the whole time I was getting bounced around and then lying on the ground feebly calling for help while the car’s horn was in alarm mode. If I hadn’t been so anxious to get her home I probably would have stayed on the sidewalk until the EMTs came.

6 Likes

The movie is very Mexican, but being raised in Venezuela there’s plenty of overlap so I think I got most of the subtle jokes and contextual stuff. I think the sheer unabashed Hispanic-ness of it lowered my emotional defenses, by the time the movie was ending I was shaking in my seat trying not to sob. I’m seeing it again tomorrow I think, we’ll see how I do.

3 Likes

I’m confident you’ll like it regardless if it pulls on your heart strings or not. It really is a lovely earnest movie, I’m not sure where it stands on my scale of Pixar movies… But I want to say it’s my favorite hands down.

1 Like

“Labor Thanksgiving Day” in Japan was on the 23rd. Could not do anything like a trad meal due to lack/unavailability of kosher ingredients. Still quite thankful I finally am employed again and that I could recently see Dad who shockingly lived another year with full body stage 4 cancer.

3 Likes

Wow that’s intense, glad you were able to have your dad around for longer. Is he in the US? Also quite unrelated, are Jewish Thanksgiving dishes mostly the same besides it having to be kosher? Are there some unique dishes? I don’t have Jewish friends so forgive my ignorance

Yes. Before starting the new job we went to the US to do family stuff.

There isn’t really a “Jewish Thanksgiving” and some Rabbis would say that a Jew should not acknowledge Thanksgiving due to the Christian underpinning but I understand it as a secular thing. Some households will do a kosher meal, some won’t. There’s no one answer here.

Really glad you got to see your dad :slight_smile:

And thanks, think that’s a good answer on my Thanksgiving question

1 Like

Sure We can help them:)

Same here, pretty much, but in French. :smiley: All our French got by the Rockies and bounced back into eastern Canada. Westerners here are also pretty hopelessly monolingual. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.