Thanksgiving Prep and Troubleshooting

My wife bartends for a place that has a very good food cart who she befriended who also has an excellent knife sharpener (mechanical, then hand hone).

what used to take me 35 minutes each with a whetstone takes me five each, and I buy them a round.

Yeah, it took me yeeears to find a decent place.

2 Likes

I would seriously, and without any chiding tone whatsoever, advise learning to do it yourself. I just did it to a knife this evening. All you need is one good whetstone, at the ready.

Even something as cheap as this will get it done.

There are numerous youtubes about how to sharpen knives.

1 Like

That’s good advice but it still irks me that I should have to. To return to the automotive maintenance metaphor: it’s not that I don’t know how to change the oil on my car, it’s that any city with hundreds of thousands of drivers should have large number of convenient service stations.

1 Like

I get it. I hate cleaning. It irks me to have to. In my world, I want that honed “shing!” to my knives and so I do it myself. Same for cleaning the pool. I don’t want some dumb kid in my back yard screwing up the place. So I do that myself too. But cleaning the house? Nnnnnnnnope.

3 Likes

The tamari + sherry combo is a killer for all kinds of dishes, but especially soups. You’d never consciously place it if you don’t know, it just blends in and makes everything richer.

4 Likes

Never underestimate the power of separately sautéd onions and garlic.

4 Likes

I’ll just put this here:

2 Likes

Mushroom stock? Never thought of that! Clear stock, or cloudy with mushroom bits?

Onions and garlic after an hour, instead of sauteed first, then the peas and stock added to them?

DILL? In pea soup? Whoa.

A good umami substitution in lentil soup might work here too: 1 tablespoon each of red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard, added at the end.

1 Like

cloudy. for optical reasons :smile:

3 Likes

Murky and redolent! It’s the stuff I get from the local health-food coop in the one quart cardboard boxes, if that helps; I can’t remember the brand but it’s probably Pacific or Imagine.

That would be the standard way, yes; I do it that way for some other soups by sauteing them in the soup pot at the outset. That approach doesn’t work as well for this one due to the initial step of boiling and draining the split peas at the beginning. Since that meant I was cooking the onion bits separately anyway, I found I like them to have a more distinct flavor so now I add them closer to the end instead of at the beginning.

As I write up these details, I realize it’s evolved gradually via a series of little changes over a period of time. Keep the successful changes, discard the meh. Eventually the accumulation becomes something special.

I think I know exactly which one you mean.

More distinct: you’re entirely upending my approach to soup-making
I like it!

I hear you. This really sounds like you’ve turned it into a masterpiece.

My wife is all over me for not starting cooking today. LOL. I’m the iron chef. It’ll take me 20 minutes to throw Thanksgiving together.

3 Likes

I started on Sunday.

You may be Iron chef, but I am Leaf On The Wind chef.

2 Likes

3 bags of cranberries
3 cups sugar
Juice, zest and pulp of 2 limes, 2 oranges
A fat 3 second pour of Grand Marnier
Cook it.

4 Likes

Well truth be told I’m more like Yan Can Cook.

2 Likes

I’ll take a pick in a bit, but two bags, a touch of salt, sugar, and I pushed it through a ricer. It’s so effing good.

1 Like

Good idea on the ricer. I’m leaving mine chunky. I had a taste, Oy! So yum. I have the stock ready for gravy and stuffing. Everything is set. Just have to get up early for the turkey.

1 Like

Bread baked, turkey boned, all stocks have beenade, all veg that could be prepared is, @renke the black forest has been baked :smile:, pecans candied, linens washed and starched

Fuck it, ima gonna go to Denny’s.

3 Likes

Pie pie pie pie pie pie pie!

I was gonna make it last night, but my sister and I killed a bottle of wine, and I just didn’t feel like baking.

4 Likes

#PIE!!!

4 Likes