That 1973 Barry Manilow scored Spaghetti-Os commercial where everyone is tripping balls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/05/that-1973-barry-manilow-scored.html

3 Likes

First thought: kid throwing up Spaghetti-Os on the carousel by the tenth take. Uh oh!

12 Likes

I used to love those nasty little meatballs.

14 Likes

Still do.

7 Likes

I’ll just stick with Piña Coladas, thanks.

3 Likes

As commercials from the 70’s go. This is mild.

4 Likes

I ate plate of pasta and meatballs once in my twenties, and threw in some magic mushrooms for good measure. One of the best trips I ever had.

An actually factual true story.

17 Likes

If you’re thinking of the Piña Colada song, it’s actually by a guy named Rupert Holmes, though it sounds like it should have been a Barry Manilow masterwork.

For your listening pleasure:

5 Likes

A very common misconception, I gather. I wonder if Holmes is pissed off about this.

2 Likes

We made a stew with mushrooms, ramen, welks, and whatever seaweed we found and smoked from a bong made out of kelp in the home of a community oriented hermit that we didn’t know on Vancouver Island.and the night was stormy. We got off.

6 Likes

“Renew! Renew!”

2 Likes

So is Manilow connected to this in some way? Don’t tell me that was him in the role of Mom?

Please see the headline for the post you commented on.

3 Likes

I get it - thanks!

Barry Manilow also wrote jingles for Band Aid (“I’m stuck on Band-Aid brand 'cus Band-Aid’s stuck on me!”) and State Farm (“Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.”)

6 Likes

1 Like

This version of Spaghetti-Os definitely seems aimed at people who have the munchies. Fudgy brownies would be a good dessert.

He incorporates them into his act:

1 Like

This has always been a favourite of mine.

Ross McManus wrote and sang the advert’s song, with his son Declan McManus; later known by his stage name Elvis Costello, on backing vocals.

3 Likes

Why are everybodys drug related stories alwasy wilder than mine?
I once got so high with a bunch of punks I didn´t knew that I ate all of the potato chips from a wending machine at a S-Bahnstation. And another time I browsed around some central subwaystations in Prague with a couple of blokes I from school looking for Hotdogs. Oh, and once I threw up in the editoral washroom of “Der Spiegel”.
But thats it.
That commercial was pretty chill. I guess the seventies were simpler times. I can´t really see canned pasta anymore since we didn´t have much money when I was a kid and thats why we ate canned ravioli and spaghetti every second day.

3 Likes

Bette Midler and Barry Manilow’s careers crossed paths during their time at the Continental Baths in New York.
He was her pianist for a while.

5 Likes