That probably hurt

I was looking for a clip to share, but NBC are some right bastards about copyright.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. Which sucks, cuz early SNL is basically significant American history by now.

8 Likes

I read somewhere that the producers of Caddyshack insisted on the “night golfing” scene where Chevy’s character hits a golf ball thru the greenskeeper shack to force an interaction between Bill and Chevy in order to capitalize on their SNL fame. If you watch it closely, there are no other scenes in the movie that have the two of them in it.

Their animosity towards each other is obvious and that scene seems so out of place compared to the rest of the movie.

6 Likes

Liked for “inertially gifted”. I’ll have to try and remember that.

2 Likes

“premium mediocre”?

5 Likes

IIRC the best way to tell the difference is in the tubing- Legit Eames chairs don’t have dimples at the bends in the steel, whereas knockoffs do. Even still, it might be a fake, but at least it was made by a quality fraudster (and still worth something, unlike the cheap mass-produced dimpled knockoffs.)

I have a relative who experienced something like that a few years ago when she sat down in a shoe store to try on a pair of shoes. To this day her shattered coccyx and lower vertebrae make sitting uncomfortable at best and frequently extremely painful.

1 Like

I wonder whether that’s the difference between hot working and cold working…

1 Like

whoa where do I get one of these?

This stood out from that article.

Protecting intellectual property isn’t easy for furniture designers. For one thing, the bar is high: IP laws for furniture in the US don’t protect function, so designers have to prove a unique element in their design to qualify for a patent.

1. Ummmm. People like Knoll who manufacture the ‘legitimate’ furniture here simply bought the licensing & perhaps the manufacturing lines from the designers.

2. patents, design or functional, only last 20 years. When were these all designed? Oh yeah. 70 years ago.

3. Trademarks can be renewed, which is the only leg the ‘Navy Chair’ is standing on.

Once I a while I get emails from design within reach where I got my Eames molded chairs from. An industry group consisting of these companies actually built this website: http://www.beoriginalamericas.com/not-original/

They basically list off all the companies knocking them off. What you don’t see are any quality comparisons beyond empty hyperbole. Which is the crux. If there was a different- they’d show it.

But they’re not - implying one thing. There is no quality difference. They’re stuck holding the bag paying royalties to the original designers after purchasing untrademarked property that’s off patent.

3 Likes

The boss/owner at a previous job of mine liked to brag about an incident in which she played a prank on a long-time employee by putting a tack on his desk chair. The “hilarious” punchline: another office prankster had stealthily lowered the chair, so when the victim sat down, he sat down HARD. This anecdote was inevitably delivered with much laughter and self-backslapping.

… yeah, I don’t work there anymore.

1 Like

The bit about the production, and Herzog and Kinski.

3 Likes

More a question of mandrel bent or not.

Yeah, right up there with Asimov’s “attractive resilience.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.