That time that Frank Zappa produced a record for Burt Ward (aka Robin, Boy Wonder)

Originally published at: That time that Frank Zappa produced a record for Burt Ward (aka Robin, Boy Wonder) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

In the second video you need to get past the 5 min mark to hear the appalling tunelessness of his ‘singing’. No wonder the first two tracks were ‘talkies’!

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I only made it through the first 20 seconds before I abandoned ship, so I went back after seeing your warning to hear the actual singing. Astonishingly bad! I wish I could have been there when they played this for the executives the first time, and they realized how tuneless it actually was.

3 Likes

I can’t get past why someone photoshopped the Batman screenshot onto a radio.

3 Likes

It offends the ears, terribly.

1 Like

Now I know why Dick Grayson’s parents faked their deaths.

2 Likes

Holy Discord, old chum! That was awful.

And, I am so glad it was preserved and that I got to hear it.

“…something something Burt Ward.”

This thing writes itself!

1 Like

Excerpt: His performance was so bad that a second session was arranged, while Ward was given singing lessons. These did not help. Zappa then had the idea that a spoken-word piece might be better, and so Boy Wonder, I Love You was created…"

(Flop or not, I think the whole affair fell right into Zappa’s wheelhouse.)

1 Like

Apart from the soul-sucking kitschy-ness of the song, what got my attention was the way an apparently distressed Robin appears, holding on to what seems to be a fire extinguisher ---- given how he was (ahem) “packin”, and the costume department’s resulting challenges. Just Google it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.