TV's Robin had to take pills to shrink his genitals while Batman stuffed his underwear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/tvs-robin-had-to-take-pills.html

1 Like

Holy shrunken pants worm batman!

13 Likes

A drag queen could have taught him how to tuck.

14 Likes

This was mentioned in:

6 Likes

That’s funny.

29 Likes

Unsurprising where they were looking though.

23 Likes

maybe that’s why they called him the boy wonder

11 Likes

Does anyone know what was in the pills?

5 Likes

The problem grew so tumescent that the studio had Ward see a doctor who prescribed medication “to shrink me up.”

So, like, what pills? I think my dad told me some rumor about salt peter shrinking you dick that he heard in the Navy so some nonsense, but never heard of a medicine that would do it. Cold will get you to contract.

Personally I would think anyone wearing tight costumes would benefit from like a an athletic cup, so you might have some bulge but no definition.

4 Likes

And Burt Wad as “Dick” Grayson!

9 Likes

I would imagine some sort of amphetamine. - they were still legal in the USA at that point, weren’t they?

EDIT: Just re-read the article and Burt’s fear of not being able to have children now makes me think that the pills were an estherising agent for testosterone; something that would turn testosterone into oestrogen.

4 Likes

There’s sort of a sad tradition of making individuals bear the specific brunt of vague and loosely defined societal unease.

Thinking back to Alan Turing.

7 Likes

Jesus christ people, DANCE BELTS.

15 Likes

Is that like an athletic supporter?

1 Like

Yeah, sort of. Meant to give you a smooth, sexless Ken-doll look under dancewear.

6 Likes

Looks like the codpiece that Alex and his Droogs wear.

8 Likes

I doubt it was amphetamines. Maybe an anti-androgen like this:

4 Likes

So… these pills. Do they offer the opposite of this? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

giphy - 2020-01-13T145129.748

9 Likes

Or really I’d wager most women at some point in their career have been told to dress differently because of their bodies as well.

12 Likes