The "American College of Pediatricians" is a hate group with fewer than 200 members

“And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven’t got: a diploma.” - Wizard of Oz

The appearance of legitimacy without the research.

3 Likes

“The enemy of my enemy” is an appropriate phrase here

2 Likes

Rabbi Sacks is most awesome

1 Like

Chalking up the suicide rate among post-operative transgender people to discrimination is probably also wide of the mark, though. There are a whole lot of people who have faced severe discrimination, historically, without reaching anything close to the kind of suicide rates seen in the transgendered. It may well be that the surgeries typically fall short of expectations and that at that point they feel that there is nothing further they can do to try to reconcile their body and their identity.

Shit, man, where are we going to fit another 200 fuckers against the wall when the revolution starts? Don’t you ever consider logistics? Yet another over-crowded public space? sigh Guess we’ll have to clear some more room…

3 Likes

Yes! I think so too. His book To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility changed my life in some happy and hopeful ways.

2 Likes

And only literal and/or vulgar interpretation allowed.

It’s this amazing thing, though, that when they can get treatment (hormones, surgery) the suicide rate GOES DOWN.

9 Likes

Don’t worry, under president Drumpf, we’ll have plenty of wall to line up undesirables against to shoot.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the last time I put them in my NCAA bracket!

3 Likes

I wonder how many people have no idea, though? One of the most important lessons I learned in high school was that you always need to know who you’re citing. In a history paper in 10th grade I cited a book by the John Birch Society. At the time I had no idea who they were, and I only cited historical references, not their beliefs/propaganda. But my teach quietly pulled me aside, suggested I look them up and gave me the chance to find alternative sources. The class as a whole didn’t get that talk, but I did.

6 Likes

You’re reminding me of the time I was trying to find more source materials for a paper on Abraham Lincoln – this was long before the internet, kiddies, when the encyclopedia was often the best resource in the local library – and because I’d heard that the John Birch Society was all about American politics, I went to them to ask for help. They took one look at me and stated that their publications wouldn’t be appropriate for my paper. Keep in mind, all I said was that I was doing research on President Lincoln. I had no clue why they turned me away, until many years later. Even THEY knew they weren’t a reliable source for a teen’s research paper!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.