The American school of firearms instruction

[quote=“gracchus, post:87, topic:97085, full:true”]
No, it’s because they regulate the hell out of all firearms in the country. Those automatic weapons have to be locked up tight, and if you take them out without a good reason (in Switzerland this boils down to the country being invaded) you’re in big trouble. That’s because the weapons are meant for use by a Second-Amendment-style militia. [/quote]

So they don’t really own them for personal use and it isn’t usefully comparable to US ownership at all?

Get to know more NRA members, particularly in diverse communities. Most of the education, while coordinated and developed at the national level, is maintained and distributed by the members in the local communities who don’t reflect this at all.

Is the NRA overall really miscast? Probably not, but the lack of recognition of the educational work done is simply willful ignorance.

Imposing a government mandated cost (insurance) is a tax.

So why not only prosecute firearms violence for those committing acts of violence, why impose on all gun/computer owners?

but since you are for the insurance scheme, mmkay then, enjoy that mandatory insurance. The government isn’t particularly good at making the distinctions you think they can regarding premiums. Start counting the embedded CPUs in your home, that insurance is going to add up fast.

[quote=“gracchus, post:87, topic:97085, full:true”]
Enlighten me. For starters, tell me why someone living in a suburban tract home in a middle-class neighbourhood would need an AR-15 for household self-defense. That one remains a puzzle for me, not to mention for the Iraq veterans I know.[/quote]

I didn’t say they were. Long arms in general account for a very low percentage of firearms used in crimes. AR and AK type weapons even fewer. Your insurance scheme is based on utility. The utility in regulation based on statistics would not place a high value on the most “scary” and demonized firearms types which splash the media pages.

I invite you to discuss further in a dedicated topic for discussing firearms regulation
https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/firearms-why-own-them-why-ban-them/87240/43

Oh well, too bad its closed, back to the usual thread drift.

In review of the video/gif and Cooper’s Four Rules:
RULE 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
pass

RULE 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
pass, I guess we are okay with shooting the ceiling as an employee :expressionless:

RULE 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
FAIL
(As Cooper wisely said, “This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.”)

RULE 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Pass I guess

3/4 RULES - no one got hurt. Generally you have to be at a 2/4 level for an injury to occur.

1 Like