The Art of Cosplay: 'Fuse Bead Armor,' by Cosplay Amy (@cosplamy)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/06/the-art-of-cosplay-fuse-bea.html

17 Likes

That’s pretty creative. I always like good cosplay work, but this is a neat twist on the usual style. I also have to say I appreciate a costume that’s centered on skills not boobs.

18 Likes

this is cool! it’s nice to see a wholesome, artsy costume instead of “anime bikini lady 9000” for once.

(To be fair I’m a redditor so I’m probably getting a filtered view of conventions, but still i’m glad we’re reaching the point where both sexes make ridiculous boxy pixelated costumes)

5 Likes

amazing work and attention to detail, almost like a pixel art costume in a way, love the effect.
seems to work well for both the costume and the props. very clever.

11 Likes

Looks Photoshopped…in 1982

10 Likes

I was impressed even before I understood the technique used to make the costume. That’s a really inventive piece of work.

10 Likes

Seems like you could make some interesting 8/16-bit cosplay with this technique.

6 Likes

@timmh and acrostic, it should be possible to say nice things about this work without simultaneously dragging other styles.

5 Likes

That looks cool, but also look as uncomfortable as hell.

6 Likes

The cat clearly wants its own spear and magic helmet.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Wow, colorful! It reminds me of granny-square afghans–in a good way.

Love the attention to detail and the riot of color and the commitment to her vision and the clean finish of the work, and other aspects I haven’t put words to yet :smiley:

9 Likes

sorry that me saying i like that it’s not solely for the male gaze was offensive, i could have worded it better. not all anime is bad - just watched ghost in the shell the other night

1 Like

This looks shopped. I can tell by the pixels.

6 Likes

Granny-square afghan druid cloak/wizard robes would be pretty sweet.

Also just realized that Chuck Close was basically painting granny-squares…I wonder if anyone has made afghan versions of any of his paintings…

ETA: not the first to ponder a similar thing, apparently…https://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2015/09/digital-granny-square-art-from-workbyknight/

6 Likes

It’s not art if you don’t suffer for it.

7 Likes

Looks woefully fragile. I’m especially impressed by the curvature at the top of the wings; I would have expected the seams to crack at that radius. I’d expect large quantities of glue as well, but it’s sewn?

I’m also wondering if that was all laid out by hand, bead-by-bead, or if there are means of automating the process to some extent.

(I reckon the whole thing could be replicated quite expediently with ordinary printouts on paper, but of course there’s no fun in that.)

2 Likes

LOVE Chuck Close.

2 Likes

We used to make these with the kids, using an iron and the small plastic peg boards. Best she could do is to use a bigger peg board.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXxBvKWBlKObw_j9Ubl0wTRD86N2mhePXnub7Aij9x0OTtqIjSVX9RyjjL5olfjl5mv0l2UcmX&usqp=CAY

5 Likes

if she was ironing the beads in place, that would be really extra arty

2 Likes