The Art of Magic – a card index and nature guide to Zendikar

[Read the post]

MTG art just gets better and better, unfortunately I never did connect with the floating rocks or the elderazi of Zendikar.

I would love to see some all time great originals in a travelling gallery, I wonder if WotC could ever make that happen?

And this one… Graphic!!! you have been warned Blood Artist

Looking back at the early, early, Magic sets, I miss the cards that were really only barely connected by a theme. Now everything is pre-planned and the artists are given style guides and detailed explanations of what the world is like.

I agree, and it is the same for the strategies as well. Magic used to feel like a complex, chaotic, puzzle where random pieces assembled into exciting synergies. Now power cards rely on their companion pieces which also display the same thematic elements, a great example are the tribal strategies. Now feels less chaotic and more pre-constructed.

(and least likely to involve the word “eldritch”)

Don’t worry, there will be plenty of that in the upcoming sets “Shadows over Innistrad” and “Eldritch Moon” (yes, really).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.