The AVENGERS cast has dubbed the film in the Lakota language

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/the-avengers-cast-has-dubbed-the-film-in-the-lakota-language.html

18 Likes

Ok, can this whole post go into the needs more likes thread? Now this is a Wonderful Thing!

11 Likes

How about the Māori dub of Moana? I can’t get enough of Jermaine Clement’s Māori version of “Shiny.”

6 Likes

That is absolutely awesome

3 Likes

That’s great. There are a lot of projects to dub popular culture films and shows into various native languages. We only got a quick clip, but that definitely sounds more natural than some of the other examples I’ve heard.

I know a little bit of Potawatomi. I am not great with languages, but trying to work on doing actual creative stuff and incorporate traditional patterns and styles.

I just wanted to add, since I didn’t see it mentioned in the article, Disney+ also has a Navajo dub of Finding Nemo. The little boy who voices Nemo in Navajo was really good!

Also, the Avengers dub just has Lakota as a selectable audio stream, but for the Navajo versions of Star Wars and Finding Nemo, you need to go to Extras and find the Navajo dub in there as a whole separate movie, in case anyone is looking for it

2 Likes

I know that for Pixar films at least they sometimes change the visuals for different language and regional releases instead of just changing the audio track (for example, changing the written language that appears on signs and newspapers). I wonder if they did anything like that for those movies.

1 Like

Honeslty, I can’t recall. I think Finding Nemo had some opportunities for that, but I can’t remember if they did it.

And for Star Wars, I don’t think they could have because there’s no real-world language writing in Star Wars that I can recall. The writing is always in the made-up Star Wars alphabet

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.