The best sci-fi show you aren’t watching is getting a spin-off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/the-best-sci-fi-show-you-arent-watching-is-getting-a-spin-off.html

2 Likes

It started as a good sci-fi show but it feels like it lost the plot. I’m still watching for the moments of good fun, but it’s barely keeping my interest at times.

5 Likes

The Baldwin brats pretty much killed my interest in the series stone dead.

2 Likes

You prolly already are, but if you’re not, you should also be watching their adaptation of the Slow Horses books.

13 Likes

Yeah, I don’t love it any more. I did for the first two seasons at least. It’s a bit shoving capitalism down my throat at the moment.

7 Likes

Ahh, real life.

4 Likes

Slow Horses is great. I don’t say this often, but I like the TV adaptation better than the books.

4 Likes

i couldn’t get past the ham-handed melodrama of the first season. they went out of the way to create multiple sets of emotional stakes that were just so over the top. you can can only sell so many unbelievable things at once, imo.

( and like many bits of american fiction, they seem to treat racism and sexism as mistakes easily rectified. hooray! )

2 Likes

Hi, Bob!

4 Likes

I seem to remember watching some video about that, but I can’t remember who did it now? Jessie Gender, maybe?

1 Like

Loved it at first, and as it evolved, it became a struggle to finish. It was 95% sci fi and 5% soap opera in season 1.
By the end it was 95% soap opera. Who’s sleeping with whom, who’s planning and backstabbing. Everyone has a ridiculous backstory that I could not care less about.
It kept getting renewed on reputation only, but it is not that show anymore.

3 Likes

well, i’m still on board with this show. i love the bits where you can see TV news clips or hear radio bits, offering hints into how things have changed from our own timeline. they really have had some fun with that. is it soapy nowadays? sure, but i’m fine with it. the sci-fi aspects keep it fun, too, and of course there’s political intrigue. (those north Koreans!)

3 Likes

I just can’t justify another streaming service. Next thing you know, I’ll be paying what I used to pay for cable! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

The casting is superb. Not just Oldman, who is obviously having a lovely time, but the entire ensemble.

6 Likes

We enjoy it quite a bit in my household, and are looking forward to more.

2 Likes

Slow Horses is one of my all time favorite shows.
We plowed through all three seasons recently and loved every episode.
Also very much enjoyed Constellation and Silo keeping with the Apple TV+ shows.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

1 Like

Apple Tv is the only streaming service I sign up to. I don’t have time to watch a lot of TV but there is enough quality on it to keep me entertained at least.

1 Like

I have seen it and been tempted to watch it, but as a none American, its just to over the top American for me to sit threw.

2 Likes

Yeah, Jessie did a video about the space capitalism stuff in the most recent series, but I can’t find it on either of her channels, oddly. Might have been delisted?

EDIT: Never mind, found it:

3 Likes