The best sci-fi show you aren’t watching is getting a spin-off

Thanks! I thought that might be it, but wasn’t sure…

2 Likes

On the whole, I’ve enjoyed For All Mankind. Yes, there’s plenty of soap opera (what doesn’t have that?), but the alternate history aspect has been very fun to watch unfold, and the fact that it’s rooted in real science rather than the FTL/time travel/alien fantasy of most SF on TV. My biggest problem with it is the problem I have with most of the shows being offered these days: there’s no one to root for. Everyone is kind of an unlikeable jerk in their own way (except maybe Danielle Poole’s character – but then she could be criticized for being a too-good stereotype). As for the complaints about its capitalist cheerleading, last season featured some pushback from the Mars contingent (don’t want to spoil a major plot development by saying more) that was good to see.

Slow Horses is solid, mainly on the strength of Gary Oldman’s character. The plot of season two was somewhat lame, but season three was an improvement.

2 Likes

expanse did a pretty good job of having drama and stakes without soap opera. i wish they were making more that that. :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Funny thing is the end of the last season seems to be setting up the origins of the Expansiverse.

2 Likes

where is my spin off!!!

( eta: now i’ve got to read the books. *sigh* )

2 Likes

The Expanse was stellar. Such a good show. My mini-rant above about shows these days having no one to root for definitely does NOT hold true for The Expanse. The characters were complex, but the crew of the Rocinante (appropriately named, thematically) were all essentially good people trying to do the right thing. I really appreciated that aspect of the show. I wish it hadn’t ended so abruptly … or at all.

3 Likes

There’s always the book series to fall back on.

Still hoping for a revival of the show though…

2 Likes

I like that the producers of The Expanse worked out tying up all the show-specific plotlines in such a way that you can go from the end of the show into book 7 and have minimal differences to contend with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.