The best video store in the world carries only one movie

Amazed I am.

1 Like

Not everyone gets art, especially weirder stuff like this, that’s essentially a kind of performance art.

4 Likes

Someone’s told Patton Oswalt, right?

That’s fair.
It might could drive some people completely up the wall trying to make sense of it.
That would be the best result, I think.

2 Likes

Yep! That’s probably the best kind of art… it gets people to talk and think.

I mean, can you imagine if you’d been walking down the street in NYC and saw this:

How would we make sense of it?

3 Likes

I like it as this is totally something I would have helped pull off when I was doing things with the Cacophony Society in Seattle if funds were not an issue anyway.

3 Likes

I don’t know what that is?

1 Like

Laurie Anderson performing on the streets in Italy somewhere if I remember it right… back in a few with an edit after I go look in my book.

ETA Genoa Italy for a piece called Duets On Ice and she also did in NYC

ETA MORE added link for the book.

4 Likes

I have weird, accidental holes in my pop culture knowledge. From the 70s: until a few years ago, I’d never seen The Godfather, and still haven’t seen Part 2. From the 80s: somehow I still have never managed to see a single episode of Cheers. From the 90s: never did see Jerry Maguire, and don’t even know what it’s about. Have I missed something really good, or just really popular?

6 Likes

Exactly! And if you saw it, you’d be surprised and confused, but maybe a bit happier for having seen it!

It’s Laurie Anderson, doing “duets on ice” back in the 70s:

@TobinL, the piece is called Duets on Ice… here is what wikipedia has… would love more details, though!

4 Likes

I can’t see having much trouble. I used to do a little performance.
We should have gorilla/buskered this one piece. Oh well.

1 Like

That was my question as well. Titles like “You HAD me at hello” or “Show me the BOOTY!”

6 Likes

cell phone pics from that part of the book.

7 Likes

There was a similar art project like this, a few years back, with only White Albums from the Beatles:

6 Likes

I am reminded of a concept I once read in a Eugene Chadbourne book (anyway, I think it was in “I Hate the Man Who Runs This Bar”). We have all kinds of awards for extremely popular media, Grammy’s and Golden Globes. What about some sort of recognition for overwhelmingly popular media that eventually clogs up your Goodwill? A “Most Rejected” award, if you will.

Paraphrasing Mr. Chadbourne: “How much better to be beloved by dozens than rejected by millions.”

4 Likes

For some reason, this seems more seriously and less whimsical?

3 Likes

They could have done it with “Smell the Glove” but it would have been noticeably darker…

3 Likes

I’ll take Ishtar over JM. The soundtrack would make my ‘desert island’ list. http://www.ishtarthemovie.com/Songs.php

“Tellin the truth can be dangerous business…If you admit you can play the accordion, no one will hire you for a rock-and-roll band.”

3 Likes

In the early days of Saturday Night Live, there was a recurring skit featuring a shopping mall store that sold only Scotch Tape (early product placement…?). The shop was, strangely, having trouble paying the bills.

Now why this particular bit of cruft remained in my brain, and decided to pop out when I saw this story remains to be determined.

1 Like

What’s the second largest?

6 Likes