The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

8 Likes

i’m not sure how this will be received (dissected/ ravaged) by the media/ pundit class, but i am tuning out now, as my ABC affiliate in miami has just cut the feed at 8pm eastern.
i will vote for the obvious choice - the non-fascist.
that said, did this presser convince anyone to stay the course?

i guess the media have their “nail-biting horse race” now that they have forced this spectacle.

5 Likes

A little help for those of us who were otherwise engaged and not tuned into the media-industrial complex? What was the topic and how did it go?

3 Likes

They should have scheduled this tomorrow. Have the press be about the summit tonight.

4 Likes

first three questions alluded to confidence in leadership, getting names confused and VP Harris.
Biden did well - in what appeared to be a faltering manner - with many hems-and-haws and awkward pauses. his message rang true, but i fear detractors will pounce on his delivery and not his words.

6 Likes

9 Likes

He’s right when he said they (critics) will never be satisfied.

He stutters and can misspeak. But his knowledge of the foreign policy and the issues is expansive. He has command of the issues. And I liked his statements about Israel’s war cabinet.

He should have added in his reply to his critics- and fuck them.

9 Likes

I mean, that was 70% of T****’s presidency…

ETA: And the remaining 30% was a combination of hate mongering and corruption.

9 Likes

I watched a few minutes of it with the woman I’m a caregiver for. She hates Trump, so she’s voting for whoever the Democratic nominee is, but she has expressed concern since the debate. Her comment tonight? “I think he’s having more trouble with his stuttering. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with him. It’s just his stutter.” That’s just one person’s opinion, so it’s not very meaningful, but that was her take. And I agree. His stuttering has gotten worse.

9 Likes

Yes. It’s his presentation - not his abilities.

9 Likes

Which makes all the attacks on him not just ageism, but also ableism.

10 Likes

He really got heated when he talked about guns. And we need to regulate guns - not girls.

12 Likes

IMG_4949

10 Likes

Yeah, the media echo chamber is really pissing me off with their ‘pay no attention to the fascist over there, look at the old man making some gaffs over here’. If one didn’t know any better (and many do not) then listening to commentators here you’d think Trump was playing some sort of seventh level chess game and they are beside themselves with confusion over how he’s doing it. How about because they are feeding in to the fucking narrative that the Republicans are currently milking for all it’s worth.

6 Likes

I snuck away from our evening coffee with our neighbor when he took the podium, excuse me I have to use the bathroom.

I watched the opening remarks and the first two questions.

That a boy and then back to coffee and brownies which is a better way to spend the evening.

I am seeing commenters admit Biden is foreign affairs expert and trump not so much.

So maybe the replace Biden talk stops.

And are these experts that are saying the foreign leaders they are hearing from actually talking to foreign leaders?

4 Likes

Oh, and now…

F**k Jim Himes and the 16 others.

eta: and screw Michael Moore, why is he being asked his opinion?

1 Like

I was really startled when I first started to transcribe interviews a little over forty years ago. People do not speak in sentences like the ones you read in print (except for Michael Pollan, from whose mouth perfect paragraphs drop). We speak in fragments and phrases, interrupt ourselves, correct ourselves, restart, lurch on, and sometimes the verb never shows up or the thread trails off… Speech often resembles a collaging process: get the pieces together while scrambling to arrange the pattern. Mine certainly does, especially when it’s a complex subject (and in my case I’m often drawing from far-flung fields).

Interviewers for pre-recorded programs often invite interviewees to restart if we get all tangled up in trying to unpack some complex idea. I often take that invitation and restate. That is routine in recorded interviews, and these sentences here have been revised from the first round of what I typed. In my case it often feels like my brain runs faster than my mouth, so I trip over myself, sometimes have trouble recalling a specific name. I love writing because I have time to revise, improve, see what I said, rethink, try again. The best stuff of mine in books has been revised maybe dozens of times by me as well as reviewed by editors, though yeah some good stuff happens right the first time.

I often also find in casual speech that when I’m trying to recall something, I discover my own filing system–that people in a given category are in the same file and another’s name might come up or get in the way of the right one. As we age, our files become, as I understand it, more disorderly; we have not forgotten things, they are still there–but recalling them is not as orderly a process. I remember that I was always a little chaotic so it’s not a new thing–I’m a person who can retrieve a lot of obscure information about history, culture, science, politics, but have trouble recalling a lot of people’s names or remembering the name of that restaurant, and am, well, known for meandering).

I spent a lot of the weekend with my (fabulous) great-nieces, whose names are similar, even though they are not. I would and will never ever confuse them but I have a hard time saying the right name and they forgive me (on the other hand my mom would sometimes call my younger brother by the dog’s name). Also the little one had her first sleepover without parents at my home, which was completely wonderful, even though she woke me up five times, and that made me really tired for the interview I did the next day, in which I stumbled more than usual.

So anyway, some thoughts on speech. By all of us. You may not speak the way you think you do.

p.s. Yeah, on the other hand Donald Trump really rambles in a loopy associative way, losing the thread, switching topics in mid-sentence, committing an unprecedented number of lies for a public figure with that kind of power, and there are genuine signs of cognitive decline. Also one does not want the leader of the free world to have an unseemly obsession with and some confusion about Hannibal Lecter.

p.p.s. You can look at edits of this piece (there have been more than a dozen) to see my process.

10 Likes

Biden is about to speak in Detroit, the crowd is fired up but screw CNN.

7 Likes

He is fired up.

Not sure how anyone can watch him right now and think he’s not up for it.

He’s finally attacking trump.

I really think he’s got this.

10 Likes

Yeah, he’s killing it right now. I hope we see this Biden more.

9 Likes