The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

No, because that’s really not how this works. Even in the reddest states, there are Democratic voters. And the rights and privilges of citizenship should not be restricted to those who voted for the winning side. It is, in fact, what they’d like to do, so let’s stop pretending like punishing people who are not elected officials because it treats them as pawns rather than human beings?

I’m really getting tired of having to defend the basic humanity of people from both sides now.

16 Likes

Sounds like a lot, but 2 billion is just a tiny half a drop in that huge bucket. Ugh.

8 Likes

Agreed. More needs to be done. I hope this is just the start of a general jubilee for student loans.

9 Likes

I’d much rather there be a provision that any Republican who touts its benefits be required to explain why they voted against it. Every single time this happens, the weasels hide behind flowery press releases to mask the fact that they actively opposed all of the benefits people are about to enjoy.

11 Likes

What are those that I’ll enjoy? Like, a new bridge nearby, maybe 5 years from now? And… :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s not nothing, though, even if it takes a while to roll out. It does mean more jobs, as well, in the shorter term.

6 Likes

When workers in those districts suddenly have jobs is when their no vote politicians will take all the credit. Oh, and of course especially when contractors, small businesses and corporations in no vote districts get those sweet sweet government contracts, because, well…

Something, something cake and eating…

:rage:

And the gQp rep gets re-elected. Yay.

2 Likes

I’m wondering what people’s problem is with “the other side” if they’re apparently ok with the whole authoritarian crony system of government part where massive populations can be rendered stateless because their province offended dear leader. Like… “nah that’s cool, that part’s fine, I just hate the orange makeup.”

5 Likes

Just in general, though, I’m tired of people popping up and saying we should just “give them the south”… those people NEVER live here. Like, fuck off, I live here, and I ain’t giving shit up. Same with “cutting off” southern states. The only people who are going to get hurt are the poor if you do that shit.

10 Likes

Biden Administration Celebrates COP26 by Offering Largest Fossil Fuel Sale in U.S. History

11 Likes

A lot of people don’t realize that the US is currently a net exporter of fossil fuels. In 2020 we exported about 230 million more barrels of petroleum than we imported. And unlike many exporters, we’re a rich country that’s perfectly capable of having a strong economy without needing to sell oil to the world, so there’s really no excuse for this shit.

9 Likes

Perhaps he thinks that the fire sale will help satisfy shareholders and allow for a oil price drop resulting in lower gas prices etc. Supply and demand isn’t the culprit in today’s high oil cost, Wall Street is. Portfolios aren’t gonna fill themselves after COVID related downturns.

Biden may be pressured to try anything to lower fuel costs…

ETA:

1 Like

Honestly, I’m pretty much ok with oil prices being high, even if that has the unfortunate effect of enriching jerks. I’d rather the prices were high due to a carbon tax which would pump more money into useful parts of the economy, but either way there’s nothing that will help accelerate our transition to renewable energy faster than making the dirty energy more expensive. And I like the idea of making “rolling coal” a very expensive endeavor.

5 Likes

Yeah but then it’s also a real drag on presidential popularity if gas prices are perceived as high. However wrongly, it’s a primary marker for many voters of how well a president is doing.

Which raises questions: when it comes to climate policy, which party do we want in power? And which compromises does it have to make when in power to stay in power?

4 Likes

And higher deficits cause higher inflation. BBB lowers the deficit and lowers inflation.

https://researchdatabase.minneapolisfed.org/downloads/qj72p7206

13 Likes
12 Likes

House Democrats pass Biden’s $2 trillion bill with child allowance and social benefits, sending it to the Senate where Manchin may still sink it

10 Likes

With all his expressed loathing for “fostering dependency” and such, I have little doubt that he will, unless it’s gutted.

Speaking of which, can the Senate further amend it (that is in this case, whittle it down to next to nothing)?

7 Likes

I heard this and my heart sank.
Joe Joe Joe! wtf are you doing, man?

Sad.

I understand that CHOAM the petroligarchy has co-opted U.S. [and so many other] governments on every level imaginable. I write this sitting in the middle of Texas, I can imagine and have indeed met quite a few instances of this.

The people who are the worst perpetrators are going to profit and be long-dead before life on this planet becomes truly unlivable. May their children and children’s children know their complicity and actions fully.

9 Likes

Hell, at this point talking about people’s children’s children feels almost optimistic. We are linear thinkers facing an exponential problem in global warming and we are failing with flying colors.

9 Likes