The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

Good?

Well maybe, but as the end of that piece asks,

Per the White House brief on Justice40, it is acknowledged that communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change. But how can Justice40 address environmental racism without addressing race?

5 Likes

White House economists push back against pressure to blame corporations for inflation

WaPo, no paywall:

https://archive.md/2022.02.18-183523/https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2022/02/17/white-house-inflation-corporations/

The alteration of the testimony highlights the tensions within the administration over whether the White House should blame corporate consolidation and monopoly power for price hikes. Some officials in the White House National Economic Council believe the administration could more aggressively advance that argument, and Democratic pollsters have told the White House that a populist economic message on corporate greed and prices broadly resonates with voters.

But economists inside the administration, particularly at the CEA, are uncomfortable with the push.

Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster, pointed to the recent result of a focus group in which some respondents expressed outrage at corporations over a massive increase in the cost of chicken fingers. “People are really responding to the idea that corporations are price gouging. You can’t tell people that’s not going on. They’re experiencing it,” Lake said. She added that “it’s testing off the charts.”

It sucks that establishment Dems and those they consort with are so beholden to corporate interests. It seems that as a result, any time a possibilty for effective populist messaging arrives, they drop the ball.

But who knows, there was a brief period awhile back when Biden made some explicit endorsements of union organizing, so maybe there’s still hope that he’llsoon join Sandsrs and Warren in loudly denouncing corporate greed.

6 Likes

That was what converted Teddy Roosevelt. He didn’t just wake up one morning changed from a New York socialite/trust fund kid to a union-supporting trust-buster. He handled corporate greed with kid gloves for years and they abused it (and him), and he gradually saw the harm and danger of it. TR converted to a progressive at a much younger age, but there’s still hope for Biden because of how his attempts at finding a middle ground have been abused.

12 Likes

I mean, he watched it happen to Obama for eight years. A shift right now would already be being slow to learn from experience.

7 Likes

I think the answer to that lies in income. If they sort locations by those that have environmental impacts from industrial contaminants and pollution, and then factor in income, they’ll wind up looking at a lot of communities affected by racism. That’s how pols in the past decided where to place those factories, pipelines, waste processing sites, etc. (or defer maintenance of infrastructure) in the first place.

8 Likes

Makes sense. I hope youre right!

5 Likes
6 Likes

There’s a ballad in that somewhere.

3 Likes
9 Likes

“a term that American Indians and their allies consider a slur”

No reason to couch it in that kind of language. It absolutely is a slur no matter how you look at it.

6 Likes

“Proposed”?

Do It Love GIF by TV One

8 Likes

Good start. Ramp it up.

8 Likes

Glad to see this, though it makes me wonder about the strategies for shipping lanes and fishing. :thinking:

4 Likes
13 Likes

Trump Tower?

11 Likes

I hope this effort pushes the industry in a positive direction for the residents and their families. States have been reducing care levels and regulations for more than a decade…
https://thegrio.com/2022/03/01/state-of-the-union-overhaul-nursing-home-quality/

5 Likes
5 Likes

Let’s talk about trickle down, not in the T version… Biden is so effing refreshing.

5 Likes

They won’t tell us whether the Republicans were clapping for anything until after it’s over

I haven’t been watching that closely, but it seems like they might be a little less likely to act out their performative pettiness this week

3 Likes

You are giving them a lot of undue credit.

6 Likes