The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

Maybe he’s realized that Harris doesn’t stand a proverbial snowball’s chance in Hell?

5 Likes

:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

6 Likes

Harris isn’t the only (or best) option, though.

4 Likes

Predictable as spring hay fever.

4 Likes

Replacing her with someone might be quite a mess too. Though she could end up being a good soldier by saying she’d rather spend more time with her family.

It’s all a big reason that I was so dismayed with the (shortsighted) selection of Biden/Harris in the 2020 election.

2 Likes

but the president certainly has a lot of power to do things! One can always make arguments for not doing this or that, on a case by case basis, but the general point is valid.

On many issues, “I would prefer if Congress gave me legislation doing X but I actually have the power to do the second best thing, which is Y” is completely true.
Also sometimes Y is actually the first best thing.

There are people in the administration who have a psychotic level of opposition to student loan forgiveness (yes and these are the good guys), but, you know, “I wanted a child tax credit extension but this is the next best thing I can do” is an appropriate way to think about things!

8 Likes

I have heard a terrible amount of “i paid mine off. Are they going to give back my money? Then why do this at all?” Even disregarding differences in economies and pandemics and relative debt levels, this is just straight up selfishness. I came out of med school with a total debt of $37k. Yes, i paid it, no it wasnt fun. Today it is common to carry 5-10 times that. This has serious impacts on society. You know why we have a primary care shortage? The 3 lowest paid specialties are peds, family practice and psychiatry. Funny thing that those are exactly where we most short staffed! I frequently tell people i do this because i love it, knowing i will never have a Ferrari or villa in France. But now, it would be never own a home or be able to send my kids to college. I would likely have chosen differently. And many are. We are poorer for it.

17 Likes

I paid mine off. But mine was a loan with the gov agency at a set, low rate. Loans I took out and that I didn’t need my parents to sign on. It wasn’t easy- but it was certainly easier.

If you want to boost the economy- the multiplier effect of so many people who are setting up their lives etc is a great way to do that. Besides the fact that we should provide college education like other advanced economies do.

Let the other side argue against helping their own kids.

16 Likes

Same here, and it was hell. As @docosc pointed out, the economic impact lasts a long time. In my case, that meant crappy housing and delays in starting retirement savings that will come back to haunt me when I’m older.

Some of this is coming from people who don’t have kids (or anyone of that age in their families). It goes into the same line of selfishness and not considering the social benefit that leads to the argument seniors shouldn’t have to pay taxes that support schools. :roll_eyes: The root cause is education is not something that should be dependent on taxes and funding that are disproportionately assessed and distributed.

12 Likes

Romney and Murkowski have just said they’ll vote for Justice Jackson. In addition to Collins.

It’s completely over - she wins - you assholes lose.

10 Likes

I’m still stewing over this mess…

10 Likes

It will get a vote to release it to the floor from Schumer, which will pass.

But these assholes like Graham and Cotton need some serious consequences from this. I don’t know what they can be, but they should be.

9 Likes

I don’t know about Graham but Cotton losing a presidential bid would work for me.

7 Likes

It’s a start.

5 Likes

https://archive.ph/u1cvI

6 Likes

Biden is extending the federal moratorium on student loan payments to August 31st.

8 Likes

Yes, because those payments restarting before midterms is a BRILLIANT political strategy.

6 Likes

Maybe they just need more time to work out the details of cancelling that debt?

:woman_shrugging: :laughing: :sob:

6 Likes

The Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson vote has just concluded.

** Congratulations Justice Brown Jackson!!! **

53 to 46 - Rand Paul was predictably a dick and made people wait for him to vote. The time for him to show up has expired & they could close the vote; but they haven’t yet.

Edit- finally showed up - 53-47.

19 Likes

happy pirates of the caribbean GIF

10 Likes