The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

True, though it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it, to point out ways that Trump in 2024 would be even worse than Biden.

I think the point of the kind of comparison in question is (usually) that no matter who becomes president, the U.S. continues fucking around with other countries, mostly with the aim of benefitting its own (corporate) interests.

6 Likes

This. I’m not sure the US Government has anything but corporate interests. It’s just a question of which ones are in favor at the time. :cry:

6 Likes

Well, yeah. That’s what superpowers unfortunately do. :frowning:
Still, there are very real and significant differences between different US administrations.
So it still matters who becomes the president, but slipping into cynicism or despair is dangerously easy.

3 Likes

And along with that, there’s often (always?) oblivion to such horrendous facts among the internal population.

farrah abraham GIF by Face The Truth

5 Likes

I’m having difficulty understanding how supporting this genocide is within the long term interests of U.S. foreign policy.

It just doesn’t seem rational. And it may not be. Or I’m missing something.

3 Likes

Well, if “U.S. foreign policy” really is conducted primarily for the sake of our wealthy betters (cough cough), then I imagine those with financial interests in arms and such, and maybe in oil too, see this genocide as a mere bit of sadness, if even that, along the road to ever larger bank accounts, real estate holdings, yachts, etc.

4 Likes

I thought about oil. But Israel doesn’t have any. I guess that would mean that some of those who do have decided to abandon the Palestinian people in favor of some short term stability.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the biggest thing is sheer inertia. US has supported Israel for decades, for reasons better and worse. Now that Israel is lashing out indiscriminately in response to Hamas’ terror attack, US govt isn’t flipping things around and abandoning, let alone turning on Israel.

5 Likes

Not rational in either human or hard foreign policy concerns.

“It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world.”

FAREWELL ADDRESS TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES | MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 1796

3 Likes

Hmm. There’s “permanent,” and then there’s “financially expedient.”

3 Likes

Well, it may be irrational, or it may just be, you know, slow. US government is huge; the US foreign policy is a vast web of connections, interests, alliances, threats and so on. Nation states, in general, react slower than people do, sometimes even when they are under direct threat themselves, which the US obviously isn’t.

And just so I’m clear, I think US should be putting more effort into getting Israel to stop, or at least cut down, their attacks on Gaza. I just tend to think there’s less malice and more stupidity, or inertia and uncertainty, involved.

4 Likes

Maybe.

Or maybe it’s more…deliberate:

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, whose government supports the censorship and outright banning of pro-Palestinian protests across Germany, spoke Friday with Israel’s War Cabinet Minister Benny Gantz to reiterate Berlin’s backing for the war.

The imperialist powers’ endorsement of Israel’s genocide is part of preparations for a region-wide war against Iran that will aim to consolidate US hegemony over the energy-rich and geostrategically important Middle East. Amid a deepening world capitalist crisis that is reviving all of the great power conflicts of the 20th century, the imperialists are making clear with their backing for Israel that they are prepared to resort to any means necessary, genocide included, in pursuit of raw materials, markets and spheres of influence.

I hope that’s at least an overstatement.

Source:

3 Likes

Well, well, well Biden has done trump’s job for him:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/07/politics/congress-spending-deal/index.html

IRS gets gutted so the rich can keep on grifting we the people. Imagine that.

Same as it ever was.

Uh. Wasn’t that a deal the congressional Democrats reached with the GOP, not Biden?

4 Likes

Maybe but hard to imagine that they didn’t run it by the WH first.

Reports are that the gQp are going to tank it regardless of any IRS gutting.

1 Like

Livestream of Biden’s speech in SC…

4 Likes

:thinking: Probably also belongs here:

Next will likely be this:

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Graceful!

2 Likes