'The Book of Boba Fett' finally gets a trailer

the great mythosaur

1 Like

Isn’t that the dinosaur he killed?

The dinosaur he rides is far goofier. Down to hiring weird British Sci-Fi comics people to do the animation.

1 Like

All they do is eat!

2 Likes

so excited for this. also, props to Filoni et al for bringing back the B’omarr Monks and Bossk.

4 Likes

Probably, The Godfather, is the more likely homage.

That’s not a mythosaur, but something else.

I was six when the original Star Wars (not A New Hope) was released, so I remember the introduction of Boba Fett very well. I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special live when it first aired. I nearly cried at how boring and bad the wookie scenes on Kashyyk were, but I did dig Boba Fett in the cartoon segment.

There was a ton of hype about this mysterious new character leading up to The Empire Strikes back. I was so psyched about Fett leading up to that movie that I went as him for Halloween and even convinced my parents to get me the 12" action figure for Christmas. I could not wait to see what he did in the movie.

Then Empire came out and Boba Fett was in three scenes, for less than three minutes of screen time. I was a bit disappointed, but my friends and I knew that he would have a HUGE role in the next movie.

Cut to three years later. Jedi comes out, Fett falls into the Sarlac pit, and my hopes were dashed. Again, I was disappointed.

I’ve collected Boba Fett merch and toys ever since. I’ve weathered the philistine comments about him going out like a punk for decades. I watch this preview and I grin from ear to ear. To all the doubters, from seven-years-old Torlygid, I say “I told you he was awesome! I told you he escaped the sarlac! Now you’ll see!”

3 Likes

He had a cool outfit, and while all the other Empire shlubs seemed to piss themselves whenever Darth Vader looked at them, Boba Fett wasn’t intimidated by him. It even seemed like Vader respected him.

Yeah, well, Ed also was the evil bad guy in Get Crazy!, so no surprise there.

I hate to be That Guy, but I didn’t follow a single thing about this trailer.
Do I assume that if I haven’t seen The Mandalorian (yet), nor The Clone Wars, then I should give this a miss? Is that what Star Wars is now - pure self-reference?

Clone wars? Not necessary. But Mandalorian? Yes. Basically the Boba Fett show is season 3 of Mando.

But Star Wars being self referential? Been that way since 1980.

I guess technically you could still watch this Boba Fett show as long as you have seen Return of the Jedi. All you need to know is Boba survived the Sarlacc, hung out on Tattooine for a few years and has now taken over the remnants of Jabba’s crime org.

1 Like

(Obligatory)

(Also obligs)

4 Likes

If you watched the original trilogy all you really need to know is that Boba Fett survived the Sarlaac pit and is just got his own spinoff.

Sheesh, you call yourselves Star Wars nerds? It’s spelled Sarlacc!

4 Likes

Meh, something is always lost in written translation when going from a non-latin character set to a latin character set.

Do I get extra nerd points since my spell checker suggested the correct spelling?

1 Like

One point given for having a spell checker that includes that in its library, but two points taken away for your initial misspelling that triggered the spell checker in the first place. :wink:

It actually suggested to me after typing “sarl” so point deduction removed. (also, its in my dictionary because I had to put it in there)

1 Like

me too. all of it.
can confirm.

1 Like

Of course they brought him back from that a handful of times before the Disney take over. Marvel Comic’s Star Wars 81 had him claw his way up from the pit to be rescued by Jawas. He had amnesia and the Jawas originally thought he was a droid with all that armor. In the end the sandcrawler was seen plummeting into the pit (though even as a kid I was like - well shit, he could get out of that.)

And then more officially he was brought back Dark Horse Comics Dark Empire. From there he was featured in several other books.

So yeah - no surprise he is officially back again - and I think they did it in a fantastic way.

No, not at all. Not the TV shows, at least. Are you already a fan? Then you will squee at the characters you already know about showing up. New to the show? In the Mandalorian they do a good job of introducing even new viewers to the universe and characters. Never heard of such and such character? You don’t need to know their previous adventures, they tell you who they are and why the are important to this story.

My kid has seen the original trilogy - but doesn’t really remember it well. But she has enjoyed The Mandalorian with me. So I think that shows that the TV shows are good stand-alones, and honestly, are bringing new viewers into the Star Wars universe.

I understand the hesitancy to get into something already established and feeling you missed something. At least with The Mandalorian, I would proceed with out worrying too much about that. I assume The Book of Boba Fett will be treated similarly.

2 Likes