The bust of klansman Nathan Bedford Forrest is wheeled out of the Tennessee capitol

More of three way.

tin man dance
donald-trump-like-charles-manson-comparison-gif-animation

13 Likes

I’m surprised it wasn’t covered with a… white… sheet…

8 Likes

Oh, that statue. Well, it is an artist’s duty to represent what is and not just what it represents, I which case full fuckin’ marks, pal, for a concept piece, but no-one had to actually cast the thing, did they?

If the founders all say they were casting it ironically, I apologise, of course…

9 Likes

That mouth.

12 Likes

Or like when you plug a Trump upgrade into a T-1000 terminator.

7 Likes

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes

9 Likes

HISTORY

EMBARRASSINGLY UGLY HISTORY

4 Likes

That’s where I’ve seen it!

Appropriate though, in that Nathan Bedford Forrest was the epitome of a nut and a cracker. /s

14 Likes

And that’s Jenga!

8 Likes

Just looking it causes phantom dislocation pains in my shoulder.

8 Likes

And this cant be the only commemorative statue/bust of a traitor/slaver/war criminal/klansman put up during the '70s, either.

4 Likes

It really is, to the degree that it works better as a savage attack on the man rather than making him heroic. Which makes it the perfect remaining Confederate monument. Especially once it starts really falling apart - which will happen soon, given the materials.

It’s not even metal, so it wouldn’t require that much to take it down. That no one has yet been successful suggests they haven’t been trying too hard.

Thankfully not, as it’s plastic and fiberglass with gold/silver leaf on top. Which means it requires a fair amount of upkeep to keep it looking so pristine. The owner, now deceased, must have been really committed to maintaining it. It’ll be even better once it starts falling apart.

1900-1920 was the big period for Confederate traitor statues/school namings, followed by the '60s, but hell, there have been a surprising number erected in the 2000s:

12 Likes

Actually, I’ve read somewhere that tomato juice really does a number on bronze, although a more dangerous method of vandalism would be dumping hydrochloric acid on the statue, which will cause a much more vigorous reaction. (Bronze disease)

I’m probably wrong though.

Edit: In light of @Shuck’s comments, I’d say to skip the tomato juice and keep using the spray paint and/or other chemicals known to degrade the base materials. Or go for full symbolic irony and douse it in accelerants before lighting it up. (which I’m not saying that anyone here should do- I’m no where near the thing, and I have other reasons not to misbehave. Just sayin…)

4 Likes
9 Likes

Well, I hope that crude, outsider art installation is the last word in support of slavery.

I just tried to replicate the pose; and, whilst it was possible, it was, also, painful.

This was the “Forward” statue in my home town. An uninspiring piece of fibreglass public art.

This was the “Forward” statue after someone decide to turn it in to an interactive installation piece and introduced an accelerant and ignition source.

10 Likes

Dumping it into the garbage would be better. Or melting it down.

5 Likes

My skin is dark

1 Like
4 Likes

Bye Felicia

1 Like

Precious Metals Tax of some sort is usually charged on bronze. Who is going to pay tax on those big lumps of bronze?

2 Likes