The bust of klansman Nathan Bedford Forrest is wheeled out of the Tennessee capitol

Originally published at: The bust of klansman Nathan Bedford Forrest is wheeled out of the Tennessee capitol | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Resolution to have it made passed in 1973 and it was put in place in 1978, you know the ancient past

31 Likes

@jlw CAST. IN. 1978! ok i have to stop now and lie down. i am dizzy from all the bumblefuckery today.

12 Likes

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

24 Likes

Too bad this one is on private land.

The monument was designed by Jack Kershaw, a Vanderbilt University alumnus, co-founder of the League of the South (a white nationalist and white supremacist organization) a member of The General Joseph E. Johnston Camp 28 Sons of Confederate Veterans. and a former lawyer to James Earl Ray, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s killer.[3] In the face of public criticism of the installation, Kershaw defended the statue by saying, “Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery.”[3][4]

20 Likes

One of many fucked-up stains on this nation’s history… Hard to get that all into one good word.

15 Likes

Jesus, put up in 1998.
On the plus side, the guy whose land it’s on, the racist who defended slavery and the KKK, died last year. So it may not be around for much longer…

20 Likes

I’m willing for that poorly rendered eyesore to be there forever, as an appropriate monument to his monstrosity.

10 Likes

It is generally considered aesthetically unappealing due to its abnormal facial features, which bear little resemblance to Forrest himself, and more resemble a screaming deformed man

these fools can’t do anything right

6 Likes

It is kind of Holy Shit hideous, isn’t it?

E67Dt_tWEAAGaNt

Who knew Basil Hallward did statues too?

30 Likes

I think it shows exactly the kind of artistic care and diligence that the subject and commissioning patron deserve.

18 Likes

Yes. Yes indeed it is.

21 Likes

The owner of the statue and the land it sits on, Bill Dorris, was a Nashville lawyer and businessman. … Dorris died on November 24, 2020.

Well, whoever inherits his estate has a slam-dunk of a public relations move waiting for them, I tell you what.

11 Likes

What the ever loving Fuck! Looks like a marionette riding a merry-go-round pony.

10 Likes

“But mah heritage!”

10 Likes

What a perfect addition to McConnell’s backyard gazebo

5 Likes

Oh boy. If I see anyone on my feed bemoaning this decision, I will ask why they are fighting so hard for a statue erected by Democrats? (Who were the majority of the 1973 General Assembly, though I don’t know the actual vote break down. The point still stands.)

Source:
https://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/archives/

5 Likes

Evil. It’s a bit hackneyed but there’s life in it yet.

14 Likes

It’s like Charles Manson and The Tin Man had a baby.

14 Likes

Thermite would be a better thing to apply than red paint, sez I.

10 Likes