The causes of selfie-related fatalities

I really expected “car crash” to be much higher up on the list.

1 Like

I’d love to know the details of the grenade-related ones…

7 Likes

from what i usually read young, male, russian/eastern european and heavy drinking are a bad mix to add a hand grenade to.

5 Likes

"Here, hold my beer and hand me that selfie stick."

5 Likes

Yeah… total (and unfettered) self-involvement is surprisingly lethal. 49 selfie deaths is a drop in the bucket when compared to deaths due to texting-while-driving: a little over 16,000 a year in the US. 1 in 4 automotive accidents are due to distracted driving and 50-percent of adults admit to texting-while-driving.

Self-absorption (narcissism) isn’t a survival trait.

2 Likes

The important thing is that we can now pretend that selfies are actually lethal as opposed to merely tacky. This is going to revolutionize modern get-off-my-lawn-ism.

6 Likes

*squints*

Um, let’s see. Don’t flip people off, don’t wash the windows of oncoming trains, don’t surf, don’t try to be a lion tamer, don’t take birds hostage, don’t hang off flagpoles, don’t joyride on the front of trains…

Looks like pretty solid advice, but where’s the selfie part? :slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

Where is the chart detailing selfi-time-related deaths?

Young male, full of testosterone and self-confidence, with no sense yet of his own mortality. I wouldn’t call it suicidal, just stupidly reckless they way some guys that age are.

2 Likes

Some of that can be genetically determined. There are variations in novelty-seeking and stimulus-seeking, determined by variations in certain receptors in brain.

Then there is Darwin, to maintain the optimal balance of such traits for the environment of the given population.

3 Likes

Selfies don’t kill people…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.